Author Topic: Artificial Shadows  (Read 1012 times)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Artificial Shadows
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »
Hey all,

do any of you know a way that I could acheive the effect of casting a shadow with a brush that is invisible?

for instance, using sk89q's tree models to create a forest looks good but models don't cast shadows. If I could create an invisible shadow 'mask' that would allow me to fake the gloom of the forest under the canopy then this problem would presumably be solved.

Any ideas?

- Dagless

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Artificial Shadows
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
Make a brush with 'nodraw' set. Make sure it doesn't touch any other brush. Add 'mist' if you want players to be able to walk (and shoot) through it.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
Hey all,

do any of you know a way that I could acheive the effect of casting a shadow with a brush that is invisible?

for instance, using sk89q's tree models to create a forest looks good but models don't cast shadows. If I could create an invisible shadow 'mask' that would allow me to fake the gloom of the forest under the canopy then this problem would presumably be solved.

Any ideas?

- Dagless
SKM models with shadows is also up for vote.
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10085

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
Cheers sk89q, worked like a charm. What with the tree pack, dp resource and stuff like this, you're in danger of winning the Dr Rick Dagless M.D Foundation Prize For Great Awesomeness. The D.R.D.M.D.F.P.F.G.A.

We should probably rename it, it barely fits on the novelty size cheque.

- Dagless