Author Topic: OpenGL Video Cards for Vista  (Read 1568 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
OpenGL Video Cards for Vista
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »
I have a Vista Laptop that is brand new (woop!). It cannot run paintball2 because at the moment it doesn't have a video card (I think) and it has a slot in the side with a plastic wire-frame looking thing that is about 7cm x 3.5cm. I'm pretty sure that it does nothing. I think that it is an expansion slot for some kind of video card. I have been loking at the openGL video cards on the market (the 256MB NVIDIA 8400GS PCI-E GRAPHICS VIDEO CARD 8400 in particular) and have noticed that they come like this: http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages/xl/GF8400GS-256P.jpg
This is useless as my laptop has no room for the metal plated thing with the serial port. What can i do?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: OpenGL Video Cards for Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »
Your laptop does have a video card, even if it is onboard. You need to find what it is (look in the documentation) and get some drivers. It's likely an ATi MobilityRadeon or nvidia equivalent. Find and update the drivers for it.

The slot you found is for a PCMCIA card. Generally, you can not replace laptop hardware other than HDs and RAM.

Hope this helps.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
Cheers, I'll edit this post when I find it what card it is. I really hope that it is openGL compatible. If it isn't, then this must be a REALLY bad laptop!

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
How about spilling the specs on the laptop?

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:41:41 AM »
...I am very sorry, but I have to go in about half an hour and my laptop is packed up. I'm gone for 2 weeks, but I might be able to get the internet before then. I'm pretty sure it's a 1.6ghz intel proicessor (single core) and 60GB hard drive. 1/2 gig RAM. That's all i can remember for now. Might be 1.8ghz processor, not sure. I'm gone!

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:53:14 AM »
okay, I thought I'd double post seeing as that you will now know that this topic has been updated.

my graphics card is (i think)

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series.

I went on the ATI website, looked under drivers for it, ad couldn't find it for XP or for Vista, 32 or 64 bit. I am running 32 bit windows vista, but it is not there. A little help required?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:01:40 AM »
How about the make and model of the laptop?
The manufacturer is the ONLY place to get the latest drivers for it regardless of the maker of the graphics card.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »
oh, I thought you meant that the manufacturer of the vid card.

The laptop is made by toshiba according to the metal logo toshiba thing on top of the laptop