Author Topic: Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up  (Read 1050 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up
« on: July 24, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
So I am working on my Capital Expenditures for next year for my department when I hapen to see our trainers CapEx request:

Virtual Reality Goggles: 5DT HMD 800-40 3D = $9,895
Virtual Reality Motion Tracker: Hy-Bird = $21,995
Virtual Reality Motion Capture Solution: GypsyGyro-18 SDK = $10,000
                                                                              VR Price:                  = $65,000
Virtual Reality Software:  (Unknown for sure) = $100,000 ?
Virtual Reality Software Package: Quest 3D = $15,800

So I'm like "if he can request VR, I'm going to do him one better!"

So on the last page of my CapEx request, I added this:

Holodeck Virtual Control System               ~$150,000.00
As our IT systems get more virtualized, we will need a virtual environment to control the new virtual serves.  What better and more efficient way to do that than to get a holodeck.
The holodeck is depicted as an enclosed room in which objects and people are simulated by a combination of replicated matter, tractor beams, and shaped force fields onto which holographic images are projected. Sounds and smells , as those found in server rooms and IT offices, are simulated by speakers and fragranced fluid atomizers, respectively. The feel of a large server environment is simulated by suspending the participants on force fields which move with their feet, keeping them from reaching the walls of the room (a virtual treadmill).

Most holodeck programs run in first person "subjective mode", in which the user actively interacts with the program and its equipment. The user may also employ third-person "objective mode", in which he or she is "apart" from the actual running of the program and does not interact with it.

Servers and other related IT equipment created on the holodeck ("holomatter") requires the holoemitters to remain stable and will quickly disintegrate if it is removed from the holodeck without a mobile emitter to sustain it.

In most environments, the holodeck is controlled by voice commands, though physical controls have been seen in beta versions.

The holodeck includes safety protocols to protect the users. Older holodeck-oriented environments are predictably disabled in order to create suspense when the IT staff seem to be slacking in skills and techniques. 
As this is a virtual environment to manage virtual equipment, space for installing the holodeck is minimal: closets will work just fine. Another aspect to consider is power requirements.  Entergy will have to be contacted to add additional power to our suite prior to the installation.

I'll let you know what happens.  My presentation is tomorrow.

IronFist

• Autococker
Re: Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »
I will also require 10 boxes of Kleenex in order to operate the holodeck in "recreational" mode on the weekends.

Thanks.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »
* KnacK notes that in his calendar.

Reservation completed.