Author Topic: Google's Browser  (Read 3401 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Google's Browser
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »
So... IE, Firefox, Opera, and Webkit had kinky sex... so now we have Google Chrome!

http://www.google.com/chrome/

Garrett

• Autococker
Re: Google's Browser
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »
Google has done it again.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »
where are all the options? such as history control? etc.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
Hidden on the right at the top beneath two buttons.  History opens as a new tab.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
I like the style and design a lot-- Having opera-esque features without having to deal with oprea is certainly a plus. I'll stick with Firefox until Chrome gets some fixes, extensions, and themes though. It's kinda bumpy on my system for the time being.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »
One great thing I found is that you can drag a tab over to another screen and have a truly independent browser open, something you cant do in ie or ff.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »
One great thing I found is that you can drag a tab over to another screen and have a truly independent browser open, something you cant do in ie or ff.
You can in Opera (didn't know that until I just tried it, though).

Edit: Posting from Chrome now.  I'm curious if it's mozilla based (didn't they call their browser Chrome?).  Seems they've made a few changes to it.  It still craps itself with the admin view of the entire globlal ban list, but not as bad as firefox or opera.  Don't really like the flashing things/animations.  I'd rather have a static status bar than one that constantly pops up and down.  Also don't like the skin - why can't they use standard windows stuff so all apps are consistent? :-\

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »
I'm curious if it's mozilla based (didn't they call their browser Chrome?).

actually, it's based on Webkit, not Gecko. and i've never heard that firefox was ever called Chrome ... could be wrong tho.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
actually, it's based on Webkit, not Gecko. and i've never heard that firefox was ever called Chrome ... could be wrong tho.

Chrome is the protocol Firefox uses internally, for example "chrome://browser/content/openLocation.xul" will load the File > Open dialog (try it).

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:40:23 PM »
that's it, gj.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »
Chrome sends user-info (all visited pages) to Google. It's spying on YOU!

Some guys even say that Chrome may just have been created getting other developers (ff, ie, etc.) implement some features, which Chrome has/will have, into their own explorers. Such features may even erase all traces of activities which Google is actually laying, while "spying" on you whilst you use their service. This second point may be a little hypothetical but sounds somehow trustworthy, for the near future at least.

My choice: Anything but Chrome.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure this can be disabled.

Some guys even say that Chrome may just have been created getting other developers (ff, ie, etc.) implement some features, which Chrome has/will have, into their own explorers.
I sure hope so - it does have some nice aspects. One thing I'd like to see in FF is a tab bar that could be moved around/customized like any other toolbar. and of course with that ability in place, i'd be able to move it to the top row, like it is in Chrome.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »

Um, no? The whole EULA scandal is that it says that though you retain copyright to whatever you do, they can use it, sell it, advertise it, whatever if you posted it using their services (Chrome, in this case. Gmail's EULA says something completely different.) They've said they'll change it, at this point, and it wouldn't hold up in court anyway.

EDIT: I'm partially wrong, I thought you were referring to something else. Google saves all of the websites you type into the URL box, so long as you have auto-suggest enabled and use google as your default search provider, as anything you type into that box gets searched for automatically.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:30:50 AM by Eiii »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »