Author Topic: Build 23  (Read 27648 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Build 23
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »
Everything seems to be working fine on Vista Basic 64, even on an ATi card! :D

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
Vista Ultimate 64 with Nvidia, too.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »
Thanks T3RR0015T.

Another thing, I cant seem to find my demos folder now that I have build 23? direct default location please.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »
The folder isn't in the clean install.  It gets created when a demo is made.  Either way, its "paintball2\pball\demos".

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »
how do you start recording a demo, I know it sometimes does it automatically but what do I do if I wanna manually start recording?

Oh and I think I had the worst instalation ever, first some of the sky textures were missing(all the ones for ub_rooftop), second I'm missing some sounds I think because when I play I keep hearing a static noise for some sound, I'm not sure which one, and in maps like shock and blitz I can barely see the clear barriers, which I still dont know how to fix.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
record <demoname>

Or, if you want to automatically add the map and time stamp to the demo filename,

arecord <demoname>

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
Ok thank you, but how do I fix my other problems?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
You'll have to track down the missing media.  The ub_rooftop sky isn't included.  You couldn't just install the update?

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »
Well first I updated then I hated all the new sounds(still do) so I went back to build 19, but then remembered that some servers require a more recent build so I went back to 23. I'm gonna try to reinstall it to see if the missing media is back, should I completely uninstall and reinstall or just update?

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »
does anyone have an unedited sound folder that i can have? the new sounds actually make it feel weird for me. i'd like to replace them. so..... please!?!?!?!?!? ;D

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »
check the otb ftp server. Getting link....

it'll be somewhere in here: ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »
ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/Game/paintball2_build023_update_oldsounds.zip

Unzip it and copy the pball/sound/misc/talk.wav and the pball/sound/misc/talk_team.wav over ur sounds.

Is it that?

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »
ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/Game/paintball2_build023_update_oldsounds.zip

Unzip it and copy the pball/sound/misc/talk.wav and the pball/sound/misc/talk_team.wav over ur sounds.
Is it that?
yarr, my bad. That's the one.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2008, 11:33:18 PM »
:)

First impression, I like the new chat sound, but amongst all the background noises and guns, it feels a litttttle too quiet.

yootz is correct.

I think I've mentioned this before, but here it is again:

1.)  The recordings need help. All of the gun sounds have  clipping issues (recorded at too high a level so the loudest parts of the scale), many recordings are mainly clipped waves. Clipping digital audio only results in incredible levels of distortion, which means most the guns sound like "kuchsshshshhhshshsh".

2.) The final sounds all need to be relative to eachother. They are fairly close right now, but a few are stray.

3.) Various coding (?) issues. One that stands out is when a play grabs/caps/releases two flags at once, the same sound is somehow layered. The result is a sound effect that is twice (6db) as loud as it should be. Through speakers its very noticeable, through headphones its painful. Another one is when switching between the OS and game, some remnant sounds from the absent period are played back upon rejoining. I'm thinking this is a directsound buffer issue, but I really have no idea.

I would like to assist with the audio but my initial offer of aid quickly got turned into a request for me to record new sounds. This I cant do, mainly because of equipment. I don't have field recording capabilities nor the guns or any other paintball items.

What I am able to do is to take original recordings and master them into a final comprehensive set of gaming sounds. The only limitation is that the sounds must not be in a irrecoverable state. Clipping is highly destructive to the waveform as any signal that outside of the recording window is absent except for the artifacts left behind. This means that the clipped set of recordings we currently use cannot be manipulated to any substantial improvement.

The solutions are either the original set of these recordings before any type of amplification sent them into a clipped state, or a new set of recordings which simply aren't clipped. Whoever is doing the recording must have someway to monitor and adjust the input. If you have a meter on your recording software/device (I don't know of any that don't), use it. The signal should never hit 0db, and should stay below -3db. Even if you record what seems to be a very soft signal, it's much more workable than recorded hot or clipped. Feel free to contact me about recording techniques.

Lastly, I'm more than willing to record sounds if people will send me the guns on loan.

I can help with getting sound effects together, and any kind of mastering work. If you truly want to go to releasable state there are plenty of cheesy free sound effects out there. Personally, I wouldn't do an overhaul until the RIAA came with a subpoena.

mewa.rules

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:05 AM »
This probably needs to be a new topic, but:

1) Yeah, clipping is a problem.  Unfortunately the only decent mic I have is dynamic, so when a weapon fires, it picks up way too much.  The other problem is that the weapons are just loud in general.  Not as loud as real firearms, but still probably 10x's louder than anything else in the game.  I'd like to invest in some better recording equipment at some point, but even with the clipping issues, the new sounds sound a lot better than the old ones and pretty much exactly like what they sound like in real life.  The sounds are only like 1/10th of a second long, so I'm not sure how you're hearing anything past "k" with your "kuchsshshshhhshshsh".  Plus most of the sound generated is from ~800 PSI of air rapidly escaping from a valve.  You've pretty much described what high pressure air escaping sounds like. ;)  Also, make sure you've set the sound in-game to 48khz - the sound resampling code is pretty bad (I need to make a feature vote for that).

2) Trying to make that happen with the new sounds, but there are still a lot of old ones that are unbalanced.

3) 2 of the same sound should be twice the volume of 1 sound, no?  Not always the best thing, but maybe you have your volume too high if it's painful?  The alt-tab cutting off sound then playing them all back at once I think was a design choice in the quake2 engine.  You can put up a feature vote for an option to change that, maybe.  Not sure how difficult it would be.

I could send you some raw recordings.  Is there a weapon you think sounds particularly bad?  I've got like half a gig of audio files, so I'm not going to send them all.  Also, do you have access to ANY paintball guns you could record?  I'd be curious to see how your recordings differ.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2008, 02:55:02 AM »
jits - Samson makes some good mics that hook straight up with a USB cable.
Look for the C01U, C03U, and Q1U in the links to the right side of this page.
I actually own a Q1U and have been thoroughly impressed with its sound quality and high-SPL handling. I paid about $50 or 60-something, i think.

on amazon: [Q1U] [C01U] [C01U + shock mount bundle]

alternatively, there are the Snowball and Snowflake, made by Blue - both USB mics as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:21:55 AM by webhead »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
Found the problem wasn't with my mic - it was the input settings.  I'll be recording some new sounds the next time I get the chance.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2008, 04:25:36 PM »
Do you wanna just make it a new topic somewhere referring to general sound issues? Let me know where it goes.