Author Topic: Best Bassists...  (Read 4227 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Best Bassists...
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:40:57 AM »
This comes out of the photography thread.
Thought it could use a thread of its own.

Victor Wooten is amazing.
And I agree, funk and jazz bass of the 70s was insane.

I love the bass playing of Getty Lee (Rush), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath), John Entwhistle (The Who), and Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) from back in the day.

Jason Newstead (Flotsam and Jetsam, later Metallica) is amazing.

Flea, to me, is a great bassist.

To me a bassist has a purpose, to carry the rhythm with the drummer. To hold the core of the song along while the prominent pieces deliver the story. Where a bassist really shines to me is in creating interesting and pleasing ways to accomplish this, as all those mentioned above have easily done.

More often then not I find a bassist hits big in a certain song. Take Green Eyed Lady for instance. The bass is simple, but it carries the song so well.

Just because someone can hammer slap bass coherently at 1000mph doesn't make them a great bassist to me, maybe even less so. The great bassist must have creative and interesting undertones and carry the song.

BASS, how low can you go...
Death row? That's what a brother knows.

here's some lists i've found on the web...some I agree with, some not so much...
1) Charles Mingus
2) Vic Wooten
3) Brian Ritchie (violent femmes)
4) Les Claypool (gotta love les)
5) Verdine White (Earth, Wind, Fire)
6) Flea (who doesnt love him)
7)Andy Rourke (The Smiths)
8 ) Fat Mike

Here's one with best bass riffs: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/02/12/144017.php

Again, some I agree with, some not so much.

Keith

MosheD

• VM-68
Re: Best Bassists...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »
Vic Wooten is truly amazing, but i think he's way underrated for grooving. Everyone just see his technique (which is amazing), but ignores, that this guy can actually groove. Check his Amazing Grace Improv on Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' CD Live Art Disc 2.
Jaco Pastorious is good too. plus he invented that "funk slap style". The bassplayer of Nils Langren's Funk Unit is pretty good too.

Also i think that playing a good bass with just a few notes is harder than just slapping the excrement out of the bass. Same i'd say for guitarplayers.. feeling > shredding.

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:50:05 AM »
flea is the best :p

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
Here's a nice list.
Order may be in question, but all the greats mentioned, and many forgotten, are there.

Chris Squire of Yes...lordy lordy!!!!

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_bassperf.html

Anyone remember Kronos from Venom?
His bass playing was pretty good, but the SOUND, my god.
Venom was playing at The MetroPlex in Atlanta one time. The stage tech came out and did a sound check on his bass and nearly tore the building down. It was the most nasty g4rowling sound ever. Sounded like the PA was filled with demons from hell crying to get out.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »
Oh lord. I am so incredibly happy to see bassists alive and serious. Its not very often you can have a serious discussion about the bass that doesnt finish with 'can you do that seinfeld thing?'

First off, its geddy :P. And I cant believe I forgot jon entwhistle. The poor guy, I always forget his name. He is without a doubt a superb bassist. Along with steve harris, though in my HONEST opinion, the man started off a good bassist, and didnt improve a lot. He just stayed a good bassist.

S8N, I understand your point about bringing in the rhythm, but when start to explore options involving making the bass really sing, you can get a far more beautiful and original sound to it. Right now I'd like to mention the song darling dear by the jackson 5. James Jamerson on bass, credited with being the first bassist to not play a generic bass line. The song can carry itself without the bass, but when his riff is put in, it just creates a whole new sound. Its just awesome. James Jamerson did a lot of similar things with big motown people like stevie wonder.

Ironically, I have to laugh at your slap bass comment, because you got it in the wrong direction. Larry Graham actually began slapping on an electric bass for the first time because they lost there drummer and he was trying to get a more percussion-like sound out of it. Thus the ghost note - slap technique, which has become a trademark of funk. Especially sly and the family stone/graham central station's music.

And that best rock bass riffs actually almost brought a tear to my eye. There were no bass lines in there I actually thought could be considered 'the best,' and it was quite clear that the songs had been picked by someone who was either not a bassist at all, or just a mainstream-listener. There was no rush, which is just sad. The john entwistle song was easily not his best. Pink Floyds bassist was a better lyrcist than bassist.

Then again, we're talking about rock here, rock bass lines have just been at a steep incline of crap since it started. Bands in the 70's had it right. Now we've gotten to the pinnacle of craptastic basslines with emo music. That being said, you see some metal bassists who are darn good. Arif of Protest the Hero comes to mind. Hes flipping amazing.

FYI, Larry Graham invented slap bass, jaco was famous for his fretless and harmonics playing. He even did pinch harmonics on bass, which was completely new. Check out birdland by weather report if you wanna hear what it sounds like. It took me a darn long time to get it right but it sounds sick.

As for best bassists; Jaco of jamerson should be at the top. Jamerson bassically made bass interesting, jaco was the first solo bassist ever. And the only electric bassist in the jazz hall of fame. He was flipping superb. Victor Wooten is obveously high on the list, but I seriously hate seeing flea on those lists. If it was a list of 'best bassists in mainstream music', then flea would be number one. But when it comes to solo'ing, he comes pretty short. Its just how these things work.

What it comes down to is two people, theres the musician and the bassist. The musician practises his theory and knows exactly what fits, and plays what will fit. Thats it. Its just how it goes. No one complains, everyones happy. When you say a bassist who plays something that carries the song is good, their a good musician, not a good bassist. That being said, you can be a good musician and a good bassist, and the true best bassists are those people. Which is why I'd say jamerson might be the best. He just managed to make the most abstract basslines no one could ever think of, but they were so well crafted they fit perfectly. Thats when you really here the bass riff and realize how darn good that bassist is. There are countless songs with 'good' basslines, but the few that stand out as superb are the bassist's I consider great.

Also, Im a funk bassist, so naturally Im more into bass-heavy songs. I.E. Tower of Power, Jamiroquai, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins' stuff. Yea.

Me ranting about second bass list;

And if it means anything, I learned how to play yyz two months after buying a bass guitar. PROBABLY not the best riff. Tommy the Cat was harder to learn. And I hate people who say the bass "solo" in pictures of home is good. No. Its easy as hell, and took little to no skill. Easy song. Its like the 1 millionth best rock bass line possibly. Good The Who song, well deserved position. It pleases me to see Graham Central Station and Dream Theatre up there. Both superb bassists. I dont agree with the song choices, however. Graham Central Station has some seriously amazing bass lines. Actually thats a pretty good list. Theres a lot of songs that would easily not be in there, but whatever. You cant get them all right. All the Larry Graham made me happy :D

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »
Newstead when he was in Metallica was good but Cliff Burton was so much more amazing, its such a shame he died because Metallica would be even better now if he was still with them.
                  R.I.P. Cliff

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:36:19 AM »
Butler hands down.

Also will agree that flea is good but his showmanship is what really makes him stand out.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »
Shavarsh "Shavo" Odadjian (SOAD) is quite awesome. I hate SAOD's political messages, but they are an amazingly creative band.

Newstead, pre-Metallica, was incredible.

My favorite band of all time being Black Sabbath, you have to know Geezer Butler is on the top of the bassist's world for me.
NIB is fine and all, but listen to the entire side two of their first album, Black Sabbath:

Side two
   1. "Wicked World" – 4:30
   2. "A Bit of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning" – 14:32

Simply awe-inspiring work!!!

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »
BASS, how low can you go...
Death row? That's what a brother knows.
;D ;D
rocking the Tony Hawk 2 music! that was some good stuff.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
S8n,

I learned to play bass  on a fretless Fender from an old black gentleman that played a standup string bass in a jazz band.

Learning in the 70's was awesome, so was the early 80's: all of the artists that you have mentioned.

A few months ago, our local PBS station had one of those fundraisers and it was a concert of all of the old 70's bands.  WOW, it really brought back memories.  My fingers wouldn't stop: air bass time!

I guess that is another reason I've leaned towards more electronic music:  I'm a real bass fan. I don't find music of today as pleasurable as I did many years ago.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »
i am, duh!

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »
KnacK, there truly is no better way to learn the bass. Im thinking of buying a new bass soon and turning my current one into a fretless.

And if you look hard enough, there are some good bass players in modern music. Monkey Majik has a great bassist for pop rock. Though I may consider the genre japanese rock, because they incorporate a lot of japanese lyrics, and have an amazing song with the yoshida brothers. Arif from protest the hero is easily my favorite metal bassist. Im not even a metal fan. I hate metal. But his bass lines are hilarious.

Also if you can find some good acid jazz or modern funk stuff, they always have good basslines. Like jamiroquai.

I think the only genre seriously lacking bass nowadays is rock. Sad to say as well, as rock bass lines used to be so well crafted.

QED

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »
What about Steve Bailey folks?!  As for imagination, how about Les Claypool?  Rob trujillo from the infectious grooves stint was good.  John Paul Jones anyone?

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 05:07:58 AM »
Steve bailey is crazy (in a good way). He does some crazy pinch harmonic stuff on his six string. To be honest I havent heard all that much from him, and the only reason I know about him is because he does a bass camp with Victor Wooten.
Les Claypool is epic. He has so much creativitity, lyrics wise as well. And his song arent always very difficult, but their incredibly fun to play.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 05:08:26 AM »
;D ;D
rocking the Tony Hawk 2 music! that was some good stuff.

Sorry, I was quoting Public Enemy...
Bass! how low can you go?
Death row. what a brother knows.
Once again, back is the incredible
The thyme animal
The incredible d, public enemy number one
Five-o said, freeze! and I got numb

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »
yes, s8n.... i know. that song was on the game. :P

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 12:36:52 AM »

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRruDY3jgpk
that would be the song I played for my schools final assembly. Twas fun.