Author Topic: New install not discrete  (Read 1248 times)

mewa

• 68 Carbine
New install not discrete
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
Can't say that I'm shocked by this, but jitspoe wanted me to make a post about it.

I've been trying to help out with the sounds and in order to get them jitspoe has said to install the new versions. When I tried this with build 24 it became the new association for DP, even though it was in a separate folder. For example, serverbrowser automatically went to the newest version of the game on my system. I would guess this is a windows issue, but have yet to install a different version onto another OS to find out.

Jitspoe implies that a new installation should be discrete of an older one. If someone knows how to do this, please reply.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: New install not discrete
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
It's a setting in the registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Digital Paint/Paintball 2/INSTDIR
or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Digital Paint/Paintball 2/INSTDIR

EDIT: The easiest way to edit the registry is to press Windows-R to open up the 'Run' dialog, type in 'regedit', and go at it. Be careful, though.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
is this the only place that holds the associations? i dont want to be creating conflicts.

is there an easier way to steal the sounds from the installs? i know the updates used to come in a zipped version and assume that this contained a dir for the new sounds, are they still being released like this?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:37:39 AM »
is this the only place that holds the associations? i dont want to be creating conflicts.
As far as I know, yes. And if something goes horribly wrong you can undo it.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:01:17 AM »
is there an easier way to steal the sounds from the installs? i know the updates used to come in a zipped version and assume that this contained a dir for the new sounds, are they still being released like this?
That updates are only some pretest versions. The normal updates are only avaliable as *.exe files.

I have changed the regedit key often (to install/test a new pretest build and use the old final build). I never had any conflicts.

Some new/old sounds from build 20, 21 and 23 are here, but we won't make new versions of it: ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/Game/Alte%20Versionen/