Author Topic: Textures, anyone?  (Read 1475 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Textures, anyone?
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:39:04 AM »
Just found this link to a site called Smashing Magazine, which had a texture contest back in May. See if you find any useful textures there (they can all be downloaded).

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/27/smashing-texture-contest-results/
8)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Textures, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
You can use all textures we present in the gallery for both private and commercial projects for free, without any restrictions whatsoever.
However, you are not allowed to offer these files for download
;
 please respect the interestes of over 300 participants of our contest.
Please also consider the license information attached to the .zip-archives you download from our server. When it comes to usage of textures, different photographers may have different opinions and intentions.

So, it appears that the textures can be used as part of a static web page, but offered in a texture download for a dp map would violate the above.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
hmm... i wonder if "offering for download" includes that, or if a dp map would fall under the previous line about private/commercial projects.

if it's ok for a static web page, ... couldn't that technically be called offering for download... because the image could easily be "saved as"?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:23:16 AM »
I found this site for u which has textures too. I post it here, so i would not have to do another topic for it.

http://www.cgtextures.com/

And if i understood right they can be used for mapping:

Conditions of Use

Use of the Textures is only allowed under one or more of the following conditions:
- Private or commercial use
- Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
- Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
- Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »
That's still not the GPL.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:02:54 AM »
Well u can read it from the page. But this is taken from the FAQ:

I've used some of the textures to create a map for a computer game. Can I distribute this map?
Yes, if the textures are used in the map you are allowed bundle them and distribute it as a package.

This says clearly that they can be used in mapping.