Author Topic: Newmap : Sandlands Remake  (Read 2854 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Newmap : Sandlands Remake
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
Sandlands Remake Beta 1

I liked the idea of Sand Land, but I thought the map itself wasn't built well, so I decided to make a remake.
It's still really empty, but players can get the feel for it, it has similar gameplay to Sand Land, but it's much bigger and more open.

I admit, there is a lot of mad rushes towards flags in this map, but it's just one of those maps where speed is more important. I'm sorry if you didn't like it.
I will be making changes and fixing stuff for Beta 2, such as the little part where you get stuck in the corner of the base. As to the textures, I've tried changing them again, but nothing seems to go well. Some combos are nice, but they take away the feel of a desert, canyon, sandy feel.

Just because it's almost Christmas time, and I'm such a cool person, I threw in a "snow" version just for fun. Check it out, but make sure you tell me if there are any texture errors as well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:08:30 PM by musickid999 »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap : Sandlands Remake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:12:43 AM »
I hope you asked permission to remake this map. It's pretty bad manners if you didn't.

The texturing is awful, when you can count on the fingers of one hand how many textures have been used, including the skybox, it's a bad sign.

There are traps in the back left corners of both bases in which you can jump behind the outcrop, but are then stuck.

Also, having such complicated jumps to the flags (especially the second coloured flag) is awful, if you need complicated geometry to provide any challenge in gameplay, you're doing something wrong. This should be provided by a good defense, but seeing as the concept is wide open you have to force players to slow down and basically become sitting ducks for the defending team to give them a chance.

On the other hand, it's a much nicer interpretation of the other SandLand and it's nice to see a map not entirely made out of blocky buildings and crates.

- Dag

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:52:37 AM »
I don't think you stole the map.  Also put it this way, its better than the first map Chris made. Also musik where do yo cap at?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
Actually, I did ask permission. I told Nick that I'm making a remake, and he had no problems with it.
As with the textures, I tried using more, but it got way too ugly. O.o
As for the jumps, it's still in the beta form, I just thought I'd put that in there to see reactions.
You could say newer players would only be able to get the white flag and the 1st flag (also where you cap, the flag with the light under it).
The jumps are not really even hard, but I admit, defending would be easier than anything else. I'll be changing that.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
not much of a remake it the first sandlands didnt make it past _beta1 :-/

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:56:18 AM »
trust me this map looks better than the first one. may not be a huge change, but its enough of a change to make a difference.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »
Hmm, I don´t like maps with just one straight line, it´s just about f*****g lining. This map hasn´t got any strategy potencial.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
Just because YOU don't like maps with just one straight line, doesn't mean other people don't like it. And for your information, it's your problem that you decide to line in these maps, to be cheap and guarantee a win. Everyone plays differently. No one is forcing you to line. Or even to play this map. Or even to post in this thread at all. I have to say, that was not really helpful criticism. Pardon me if I was too harsh.
There are a lot of ways to go, actually. It's just most people's decision to charge straight towards the flag. I was testing it with a few of my friends earlier. Gameplay was fine. Of course, we couldn't resist charging the flag a few times, but if you KNOW how to play, there could be strategy involved.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »
-No barrels?
-Brushwork seems a little sloppy, on the rocks, ground is fine
-Looks horrid. As dag said you cant count the textures used on one hand
-Extremely open, you can see the opposing flag when sitting in your base
-2 flags really serves no purpose
-And straight gameplay doesnt always turnout the best :-/
-Cute little barrels :P
-Does the light underneath the one coloured flag serve a purpose? Being outside and during the day the extra light doesnt really do much.. unless its signifying thats the flag you are supposed to cap at

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »
- Sloppy rocks seem more natural in my opinion. XD (I'll look it over anyway)
- As I said, for now, without adding any buildings, I won't be able to really add more textures, or it will take away from the sandy desert feel.
- It SHOULD have an open kind of feel. It's modelled after a desert.
-Looks horrid. As dag said you cant count the textures used on one hand
- I think you mean CAN
- I have been thinking about the 2 flags. I might delete the one located higher up, farther from the little lamp.
- Might add another curved path on the sides, and a high path.
- Thank you, I love the barrels. XD I find them the perfect height for doublejumping.
- The light DOES signify where you're supposed to cap.

As I mentioned above, I've been thinking of expanding the map. This is just the main section. There will be more to it. I'll try to include what I mean in the next beta, then you guys can judge me all you want. lol

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:19 PM »
is there a reason why you dont spawn with barrels or did you forget to add them?

im sure there is something you can do than those 5 textures. google sandy desert or canyon or something to get some ideas. maybe add some desert plant life in there ..

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
OH!! I thought you meant barrels as in the texture barrels. I was like, "But you said that again, later in your post......"
Yeah, thanks, I forgot about that.
As to the desert plant life, I would most likely need to make models for some really good looking ones, and I have NO experience with modelling, whatsoever.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 09:48:16 PM »
change the theme if you can't think of anymore desert themed textures. Because it just looks so bland..

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
Actually, it's very similar to most maps with these "natural" themes. Just how many types of sand, snow, ice, ground can you really put together, and make them look nice? I admit, there are many maps that use grass and mountains really well, but thats exactly the point, I wanted to make a map that focused on a different theme. Why do you think I went for the urban style for DodgeBrawl? XD

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
well for starters some of the "houses"/ lining bunkers etc could be changed from rock into wood

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »
I've uploaded both of these maps to the beta server and attached a demo with revision suggestions.  I think the snowlands is the better looking of the two as far as texture themes, but the sun light direction is wrong, and you should put the snow texture on the top of the rocks, too.  Snow doesn't just land on the ground. :)