Poll

Do you think there should be a filter on swear words in the chat and on usernames in this paintball game?  Please reply to the thread below giving your reasoing for yes or no.

Yes
No

Author Topic: Can you add this: Swearing filter in the chat and on user name in the DP game.  (Read 2675 times)

stabbs

• Stingray
This game seems to be a less violent game as it uses paintball guns instead of real guns, and you aren't aiming to blow up someone, or aim for their head.  Because it is less violent, I think it works for younger children to play as well, thus, the language should be child appropriate.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:03:21 PM by stabbs »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Re: Swearing filter in the chat and on user name in the DP game.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
There already is a profanity filter in Digital Paintball 2, although I think it is a server-side setting and not mandatory (can anyone correct me if this is wrong!).

I think clients should be the ones to choose, sort of like a parental lock feature on a lot of games these days - then everyone is happy.

- Dag

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:15 PM »
It would be difficult to make it player specific.  I guess you could just add stars to what they wrote.  But I was thinking of it actually not even posting what you wrote if you had a swear word in your sentence.

stabbs

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »
There already is a profanity filter in Digital Paintball 2, although I think it is a server-side setting and not mandatory (can anyone correct me if this is wrong!).
- Dag

I didn't see any profanity filter anywhere.  If there is one.  please tell me how to set it.  I don't think a game like this needs profanity in the first place though.  It really should just be restricted all together.

Garrett

• Autococker

stabbs

• Stingray
Okay.  I did look through most of the features and never saw this, plus it is worded a little differently stating "Ability to filter out chat messages containing text on a configurable list" with nothing to do with swearing, which is the keyword I was looking for.  Not that I'm blaming anyone for miswording it, I just was looking for that specific word, never saw it, so I started my own poll thinking no one else had brought this up.

Anyway, how many positive votes does a feature have to have in order to get implemented?  I really really really want this feature.  It appears that this is a somewhat of a half and half wanted feature, which means it should probably be an option for the user, which I would be fine with.  Can we please implement it? ;D 

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Didn't ViciouZ write a patch for this?

stabbs

• Stingray
If he did, I want the patch.  Let me know where it is.

Garrett

• Autococker
The feature vote is really just a TODO list for Jitspoe.  He works on the stuff at the top because most of the community wants it more then something like "In-Game Voice Communication (VoIP)."
EDIT:  The patch is just a programming code patch.  You can't use it until Jitspoe puts it in the next build release.

stabbs

• Stingray
Anyone know when the next build release will be?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
As I said, the current swear filter is server-side, being set with the command 'set swear_filter 1' in the server.cfg file. This means that the server is mediating all the chat messages (if the owner so wishes), and everyone connected has no choice in the matter.

As the dodgy-worded feature request entry says, a client-side option would be best so that it is up to the player to enable it's use or not. I don't think we should force it, then mewa really would have an argument for this being a fascist state!

I don't know if this has been considered already, but the current filter replaces the offending words with a corresponding 'clean' version - perhaps it would be better if we just starred out swearwords like the chat features in C&C Generals or Age of Empires. This would mean those wanting to use the filters would enact a zero-tolerance stance and not have things like 'female dog' appear in the place of a certain word, etc...

- Dag

stabbs

• Stingray
Well, like I said already, I strongly vote for at least a client side ability to filter, because the only fun servers to play on are not set to filter swearing, and probably won't ever be.  So as long as I could set it for myself, that would make my day.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
This feature will be in the next version released.  If you want to discuss it further, do it in this thread: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=11236.20