Author Topic: Question for Jitspoe  (Read 6268 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Question for Jitspoe
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:04 AM »
Well, he isn't really offering anymore.  Would have been nice to have another developer work on this.

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:51 AM »
As quickly as he loses patience with a simple forum post, I would wonder just what kind of hands Jits may be handing the game over to anyway.  :o

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 01:07:46 AM »
Yea, you do have a good point there.  Patience is key.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 08:25:20 AM »
* KnacK sees waphels getting stuck in an endless loop.....

float x = 0.1;
while (x != 1.1) {
  x = x + 0.1;
  printf("x = %f\n", x);
}

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
That would terminate after 10 irritations.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
Depends on how your floating point calculations are.

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
I would have to have something near my computer to punch

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 02:21:33 PM »
i hate printf.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
SoftCoder: Sorry you feel this way.  Unfortunately, with the issue of cheaters in video games, I need to take some measures to at least slow them down.  I can't just hand you every line of source code at the drop of a hat.  For all I know, you could be a cheat developer looking for ways to evade the detection.  I'm not saying you are.  You sound like somebody who wants to legitimately help, but then again, so did Zaltekk.

Also, the types of requests that are exclusive to the areas of unreleased code are usually very simple to implement, and can take me anywhere from a few minutes to a day of coding.  Where I really need help is in the engine, which is already open sourced.

Anyway, best of luck with your new project.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:06 PM »
There are two frontiers to DP development, but SoftCoder is not focusing on one in particular (I think he should, since he only seems to be suggesting client modifications).

1) The client cannot be used on public servers if it is modified. I don't see any issue with this -- it's like distributing the game with a separate closed-source anticheat app, although more transparent. If you are really paranoid about getting banned, PM Jitspoe and let him know about your plans to make modifications (there is another way, if you take the time to become familiar with the client). Overall, I think this is a fairly decent way to test client modifications, and it prevents the all-too-easy cheating that results from an open-source client.

2) The server's game code is closed-source. I will work myself up into a raging frenzy trying to explain why I think this needs to be changed, so I'll just stop there.

These are things people need to consider before they invest time in learning the code. DP is not open-source or community-maintained.