Author Topic: Suggestions from someone who was once in your shoes.  (Read 1539 times)

Gibb

• Stingray
Suggestions from someone who was once in your shoes.
« on: February 08, 2006, 12:50:18 AM »
Both Shreds and I were talking tonight with Pierce, asking him a few questions about how the league will be set up.

I know some of the answers to these questions will be more obvious when the registration deadline closes, but I will pose them now because I feel it would be best to have all of these things sorted out before the season starts.

Some questions were:
Does everyone make the playoffs? 
If not, how many?

How will it be set up? Top 2 teams get a BYE? No Byes at all? Will matches be the same as the "regular season"? Or could there be a best of three series (similar to baseball/basketball playoffs) where the winner must win 2 of the 3 matches to move on?

How will maps be decided for the playoffs? Do clans decide themselves? Will you pick them for each round? 

Shreds even made a suggestion that the championship map could be a completely new map unveiled minutes before the championship.  I'm sure the idea of that already infuriates some people, but I think that was creative.

Maybe a mid-season incentive could keep clans interested and competitive.  Running the DPL, our biggest concern was keeping clans interested in the league after 5-6 weeks even if they were no longer in playoff contention. 

How about an all-star game?  1 player from each registered team is picked by a # of ways.  Could be decided by the staff via stats from each match, they could be voted in by their clan mates, or maybe have everyone in the league submit a ballot.  It all depends on how much work you want to do really.  Also, to reward those who really dominated in the league, make an MVP award.  Usually such an award is given to someone who gets their team to the playoffs, maybe the championship, but it could be decided either by the involved players, or pbcup staff.

Maybe a section on the website that keeps track of stats for each team.  It could be interesting to see what team records the most kills through the season.  Or what team has the most efficient kill/death ratio, or who grabs the most flags.  Once again, it all depends on how much you want to do.

If any of these ideas interest you, ask the teams who are registered what they think of the ideas.  Make sure you don't waste your time on an idea no one is really interested in, or cares to see implemented.

This is all I can think of for now, I hope you all can discuss these questions I have asked.  I'm sure teams would like to hear the playoff situation before the season starts.

-Gibb

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Suggestions from someone who was once in your shoes.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 12:51:57 AM »
good post, there's a lot of good material here.

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Suggestions from someone who was once in your shoes.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 01:20:15 AM »
I hate to dumbing down post, so let me apologize first. Great Ideas. Not only could this get more clans involved, but keep them involved.