Author Topic: Bug: Crash when bsp and tmp of the same map are in the folder  (Read 1522 times)

rafalluz

• VM-68
I've looked on the forums, it seems that nobody has posted this.

The title is pretty much self explanatory. I've experienced this when trying to enter any server with the carpathian map. Needless to say, PB2 crashed. I've entered the pball/maps/ folder and noticed that I have carpathian.bsp AND carpathian.tmp here. I've removed tmp file and retried to connect. I've succeeded.

I don't know how in the world there was a tmp file with a map in place but could app behave better in such situation?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Bug: Crash when bsp and tmp of the same map are in the folder
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »
 I would try deleting the map completely and then join a server with that map running.

IIRC There was a bad copy of carpathian out there at one time.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:41:49 PM »
How did you end up with both the .tmp and .bsp?  The .tmp should only be there when a map is partially downloaded, and the map should only be downloading if the .bsp doesn't exist.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 06:12:44 AM »
How did you end up with both the .tmp and .bsp?  The .tmp should only be there when a map is partially downloaded, and the map should only be downloading if the .bsp doesn't exist.

Also when the version of the map on the server differs from the one you already have so it redownloads it. I probably also lost connection to the server (or disconnected by myself) so I've ended up with .tmp in the folder as well.

Or it could be just a bad version of the map, like KnacK said.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »
I haven't tested this recently, but I'm pretty sure the old map is moved out of the way before the new one starts downloading.  Regardless of both tmp and bsp existing, I suppose it's possible to have one version of the map partially downloaded, then resume downloading a different version of the map.  I would think the checksum would fail and it would just re-download at that point, but perhaps not.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:50:39 PM »
I've looked on the forums, it seems that nobody has posted this.

The title is pretty much self explanatory. I've experienced this when trying to enter any server with the carpathian map. Needless to say, PB2 crashed. I've entered the pball/maps/ folder and noticed that I have carpathian.bsp AND carpathian.tmp here. I've removed tmp file and retried to connect. I've succeeded.

I don't know how in the world there was a tmp file with a map in place but could app behave better in such situation?

when there were more problems with maps and with different map versions, and someones dp crashed, then a logical thing for me to do was to suggest that person to look to his maps folder and delete the tmp file..

so i think its an old thing. Now when there are fast downloads i havent seen such problem.