Poll

Which of these would you like to see the most effort put into?

Catching and banning cheaters.
13 (20.3%)
Improved media (better textures, sounds, models, etc.)
14 (21.9%)
Bug fixes.
3 (4.7%)
Performance (higher FPS).
6 (9.4%)
New features.
10 (15.6%)
Drawing and retaining more new players (improved accessibility, etc).
13 (20.3%)
Other.
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: What is Most Important to Work on?  (Read 9340 times)

rafalluz

• VM-68
Re: What is Most Important to Work on?
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »
Meant the weapon you were carrying before though, I didn't made myself clear enough.

Honestly that's just my point. If other weapons are inherently worse and overlooked in vast majority of maps/matches, it makes you think why are they even there? More viable guns = more diversity. In most other fast paced shooters for the most part you cannot tell that one gun is superior overall over another. And as for making guns more IRL, making semi auto marker actually semi instead of some weird in-between rof, is about as real life as it gets.

Oh, and to attract new players server side functions protecting them before they get good enough should be in place. We get optional autobalance in b28 as I see (at least sort of). That's great. We all know how many speed games look like. Some guys get to the spawn and pretty much game over. And game turns to 15vs5 because of that. Imagine some newcomer joining on wishing to relax playing some game. He joins speed server as there are many people - and not on other servers. And right after first respawn he sees 'X Eliminated you'. OK, maybe next time. But next time the same. Some guy just shoots him over and over before he can even turn his mouse. So he says 'Screw this' and quits, never to play again. Any succesful online fps has some kind of spawn protection (Quake - more health initially, CS, CoD - variety of scripts). Now at least there will be 10vs10 instead. And notorious spawnkillers can still be (temp) banned as it's the way my clan handles it as of now.

As I said: big basic stuff first, then polishes and small touches are the way I see it. Don't worry about cheaters too much, the way it's handled now seems to do its job.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: What is Most Important to Work on?
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
If I had to put those in order:
1. Improved media (better textures, sounds, models, etc.)
2. New features.
3. Bug fixes.
4. Performance (higher FPS).
5. Catching and banning cheaters.
6. Drawing and retaining more new players (improved accessibility, etc).
7. Other.

My reasoning is as follows...
Make the game better...THEN...draw more/new players.
If you create a massive draw campaign right now you will be drawing new players into an old media, old features, buggy, low fps system. The sustainability will be lower than if you did those things to improve the game FIRST...THEN enacted a campaign to draw in new players.

Good point, bringing it back up for those who fail to read the entire thread.

I think that being able to make models solid could really advance our maps as well. I don't like to use complex models because its hard to get the no-draw brushes to fit it correctly so it doesn't shoot through or splats inside or just before the surface of the model.