Author Topic: 3iob training clan-a question and answer session with Bix.  (Read 3170 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
3iob training clan-a question and answer session with Bix.
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
Bix agreed to answer some questions on the forums regarding the new training clan. This format gives him and the leadership team of 3iob  time to clarify among themselves before answering.

The community has seen a lot of training clans come and go, and some have been more effective than others. With that in mind I am wanting to clarify the intent of 3iob:

1. What is your training method?  Will you have training sessions, in-match training, mostly by-stander training while watching 3iob mathes?

2. How often will mainline 3iob members play in scrims/matches with training members? Will 3iob-t players be used to fill a spot in a scrim when needed or will regular scrims be scheduled?

3. Will 3iob have a shared vent with its training team? How much interaction is planned in vent? Will 3iob-t members have access to vent while watching 3iob matches?

4. Is your intention a feeder clan for 3iob or just a generic training clan? Will you have established means to "graduate" or do you plan to recruit from the training team for full members? If so how will that decision be made? Will it bother you if folks leave for other established clans once trained?

5. Will you allow your training team to play matches without calling for a full member to jump in when things get hot (remembering the old ij-t, ab-t days here).

Thanks for agreeing to the question and answer session.

Bix

• Autococker
Re: 3iob training clan-a question and answer session with Bix.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
1. I doubt there will be any training sessions. Most of the training will be in match by watching 3iob and some of 3iob playing with them.

2. Mainline 3iob members will probably be playing as much as possible. As far as 3iob-t members playing with 3iob...i doubt that will happen very much.

3. Yes, the vent will be shared. Yes, access will be there for the training clan.

4. The possibility is open that it will be a feeder clan, although the main purpose is to get more people active in the match scene. The idea is to get members good enough to move onto other clans.

5. If things get near hot, the training member will be pulled out. I don't predict training members will be playing that many matches with 3iob, but instead the other way around.

The main idea is to get people more exposed to the match scene so they can move on into other clans.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:36:40 PM by Bix »

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
6. With the exception on q.b, all the other training clans made by already established - and good clans - have failed. What makes you think you won't fail?

(those who havent heard of q.b, then look it up on dplogin and you should see a good list of names who you have heard..)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:17:58 PM »
abt and ij had pretty long runs, but there is some question how much interaction the upper level clan had with them.

farmstarz had a very long run and seemed to train a number of folks.  From what I heard from members there was some pretty good interaction with Starz members but also some tension there. And at times it appears Starz members thought to distance themselves from the farm team in various ways. Just going on hearsay though.

-------

To Bix,

First of all, thanks for answering those questions, I think it will help folks know what to expect.

I will discuss some answers but any follow-up is completely up to you, as you have already answered the questions we agreed to.

Quote from: Bix
1. I doubt there will be any training sessions. Most of the training will be in match by watching 3iob and some of 3iob playing with them.

Any plans for scrims between 3iob and 3iob t just for fun?

2. Mainline 3iob members will probably be playing as much as possible. As far as 3iob-t members playing with 3iob...i doubt that will happen very much.

I can see why with the record of 3iob. And I think it is a good thing. Too many training clan spawning groups in the past used them as a pool to draw from if they were a man short but did little actual training with them.

3. Yes, the vent will be shared. Yes, access will be there for the training clan.

I think that is quite important.

4. The possibility is open that it will be a feeder clan, although the main purpose is to get more people active in the match scene. The idea is to get members could enough to move onto other clans.

I think that is a realistic goal, and stating it outright means that no one will join with the idea of entitlement. There are no guarantees at all of advancement within the organization.

I don't predict training members will be playing that many matches with 3iob, but instead the other way around.

Here we have both the biggest opportunity for learning and the biggest opportunity for problems.

Folks can certainly learn by matching with you. However other clans get ticked when they scheduled a match with a training clan and in comes the ringer.

How to make that work will probably determine how well your training clan does and how much they enjoy the process.

The main idea is to get people more exposed to the match scene so they can move on into other clans.

Good goal.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:51:48 PM by Dirty_Taco »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:32:22 PM »
The other big challenge I see--can your individual 3iob members consistently approach the training team with a mindset of a mentor rather than trying to impress, bully, intimidate, etc.

The above is not meant to say anything about your specific group by the way. I am just stating what has happened in training clans at times.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »
The things the training clan members will be doing

A. Exposed to match scene
B. Listening on vent
C. Watching matches and learning the correct way to do things.
D. Being helped by various 3iob members.

For example I have no problem sitting in one of their matches WATCHING then after each round saying what could have been done different. IE. Don't all go one path or, when the other team grabs get out to mid or block them off. etc.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »
so 3iob-t just watch the matches? they dont interact at all?
we always let our trainee team play as much as possible - even during matches

BaNe

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
would the trainee clan be able to participate in matches of there own?

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »
They will be their own clan that is separate. Some will play with us from time to time.

EDIT: Yes, they will be their own clan playing in their own matches. Tag is set...[3iob-T]

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:09:34 AM »
The trainee clan is a team of their own, making their own decisions, they won't be in our private either, they will have one of their own as well.  We'll tell them when we're matching and whatnot though so they can gladly come watch and whatnot.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
Fairly simple since that is how most people learn. I know the basics but have been looking to learn more complex jumps and better strategy. I have learned most of how I play from watching others during public games and it has helped me quite a bit. The members of 3iob have all seemed fairly open to new players so it will be interesting interacting with them.