Author Topic: Current state of DM settings?  (Read 959 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Current state of DM settings?
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Since TDM was implemented after many DM maps were already created, I just made any DM map support both modes.  I'm not sure that there's a way to make a map DM exclusive.

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17407.0

In the above thread Jitspoe noted that at one point he essentially made it impossible to specify regular deathmatch mode on a map, or to specify team deathmatch on a map. In other words, at the time, on a DM map regular DM and Team DM cycled.

Jits' reasoning was that the old DM maps would not be compatible with the new mode without this blending of the game mode numbers. And I can see why he would want to have a number of compatible maps with a new mode.

The last post in that thread I am not clear on:

I've tweaked the mapinfo parsing to support TDM on DM maps, but it won't default to it (alternate between TDM and DM) unless it's explicitly put in the mapinfo file.

Maybe I misread this the first time. Are you saying that subsequent to the previous conversation you have changed it to default to regular DM?

And how is team dm now added to the mapfile?

Is it possible to add a new game type in the next build specifically for team DM and then, using only .ent files, make the old maps compatible? It seems like it would be. If so, wouldn't it be better to follow the above course and allow the modes to be selected individually?

Ideally it would be nice to have both modes completely separate, and still have a nice collection of maps that could be used with both modes.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:12:36 PM by m7feettall »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Current state of DM settings?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »
If a map supports DM, it also supports TDM.  The mapinfo files state which game mode(s) to use in rotation.  Rather than rewrite all of the mapinfo files, I just had any maps that defaulted to DM default to DM or TDM (cycled).  Now I've set it so maps defaulting to DM just default to DM, and the mapinfo file has to be edited to default to TDM.

m7feettall

• Autococker
Re: Current state of DM settings?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:14:07 PM »
If a map supports DM, it also supports TDM.  The mapinfo files state which game mode(s) to use in rotation.  Rather than rewrite all of the mapinfo files, I just had any maps that defaulted to DM default to DM or TDM (cycled).  Now I've set it so maps defaulting to DM just default to DM, and the mapinfo file has to be edited to default to TDM.

Ah ok. Well that is an improvement then. Thanks.