Author Topic: Cant play online without strange phone jack symbol  (Read 2409 times)

niksko

• PGP
Cant play online without strange phone jack symbol
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:17:50 PM »
Ok, I lied, i can play online. But whenever i do, it works fine for the first couple of seconds, and then i get this strange little symbol that looks like a phone cable coming out of it's socket and i cant do anything. What does this mean?

-Nik
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:21:51 AM by webhead »

bitmate

• Autococker
Re: Cant play online
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 02:14:44 AM »
The little symbol (also known as pjack) shows that your ping is very high. You're lagging.
This can be caused by high package loss, a bad internet connection or a waste of bandwidth while you are playing. If you're running other processes, turn them off and try to play again.
If you are running some programms which use your bandwidth, such as torrent, you must turn them off in order to get a "good" ping.

Ping is the time that is needed to transfere pieces of  information from your computer to the server and vice versa. The better your ping is, the better is your connection to the server. If you ping higher than ~500, there must be something wrong.

niksko

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 07:15:49 PM »
Right, i figured it might be lagging. But the amount it is lagging is unbelievable. It wont do anything at all for about 3 minutes, then it stops lagging for about 2 seconds and then repeats. All the servers i have been joining have had ping of about 200 - 300 so i dont think that is the problem. I'll try closing some programs, but i also dont believe this is the problem. Ive got adsl, so it should be ok.

-Nik

StriFe

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:00:31 AM »
200 - 300 isn't exactly the most amazing ping, and adsl usually means you're capped at 30k out but that shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you could try lowering the packets/second from what it is now in multiplayer options.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:50:41 PM »
200 - 300 is a very bad ping by today's standards.  Usually only people with modem connections and/or people located in another country from the server get those kinds of pings.  See if you can find a server with a lower ping.

Do you share your internet connection with anybody else?  It could be a case where somebody is using the internet for other things while you're playing, causing you to lag out.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »
yes 300 ping is ugly, below 100 or just above it is good in my opinion, i usually get like 110 and i dont know why