Author Topic: Wiki DP2  (Read 2604 times)

mewa

• 68 Carbine
Wiki DP2
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »
I realize this is a dead issue for most, but I think it's so crucial that it warrants another attempt. From what I've been able to find, with minute research, the editors at Wikipedia.org remove any articles written for DP2.

So, I have a few questions;

1.) What reasons do they have for removing previous DP2 articles, and/or do they even need to give reason's? (this sounds eerily similar to somewhat recent post's regarding control of speech on these very forums).

2.) Can we evade the all too nerdy admins with trigger fingers (wiki's, that is) by essentially spamming the DP2 article onto their servers while their busy handing out bans. I have seen a post by yootz saying he possibly had an IP ban from wiki, so I would imagine it would take around a dozen or more of us to make this work.

3.) Are there any adequate wiki write ups that can be utilized for this. Basically hoping for an old article, that can be slightly modified to make current, and that some anal PC geek like me would save for "archiving".

This is something that is worthy of us all banding together to accomplish. Wikipedia is often the first stop when people need quick information about any subject (even if it's not entirely accurate). Currently there is no place that is widely known to newbies to receive comprehensive information about DP2.  "DigitalPaint.TheRisenRealm.com", by sk89q, is by far the best resource and in my opinion should be used as a template for a comprehensive site, either on the dplogin.com server or better yet on wikipedia's. With the current setup it's difficult to even locate a link for his site, let alone for someone first navigating dplogin.com.

That's the extent of it for now. Get on your saddles and lets take this pony for a ride.

mewa.rules

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:37:56 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:46:13 AM by P!nk »

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Wiki DP2
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »
I glanced at a new PC Gamer Big Book of Free (Summer 2009, North America) on the way to work this morning and noticed that it published Paintball 2.0 in there. Someone has ripped the whole book mostly and posted it at http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33945933

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
^Would that count as another 'reliable source?' because if so, I'm assuming that would mean a wiki article could be created.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:28:05 PM »
It's too insignificant of a mention.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:14:10 AM »
are you aware of specific criteria? what is a significant source. i have a hard believing we cant come up with some bs to make this work.

i realize this thread isnt getting much play, but maybe if it, or a more official version of it, could get stickied it would eventually grow into a compilation of solutions (how many commas can i fit into a sentence//). having the topic reappear every few months isnt going to produce too much, and will end up in reiteration.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:09 PM »
It's just a listing of games. Not enough individual attention is given for Paintball for that to count.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
Heh, this woot entry reminded me of this: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=9023