Author Topic: NEW MAP - The Hive By: RiMiNi  (Read 2974 times)

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
NEW MAP - The Hive By: RiMiNi
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
i have been working on this for a while and it turned out pretty good. thanks to Deranged for telling me to continue working on it after i trashed it.

BETA 1: http://loluploads.com/426882 (fastvis'd)
BETA 2: http://loluploads.com/381643 (final compiled)

SSHOTS: (sorry about the right side getting cut off)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:29:53 AM by RiMiNi »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
Re: NEW MAP - The BeeZ Hive By: RiMiNi
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »
Very nice, it reminds me of a map layout I have in mind, whenever I get around to doing that cause I work to much!

But I like the map.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:48:33 PM »
thanks and, wewt for not having to work! :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »
Finally a build with BOTH sides :)  Looks really good

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:15:23 PM »
Been watching this map for months, and I stil lreally like it. All except the name.. The Hive would be a better name.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:32:07 PM »
hey! just finished final compiling it. turns out i just needed a teencie weencie bit more patience. :P

BETA 2: http://loluploads.com/381643

EDIT: Lol at deleting queenies comments
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 07:25:14 PM by RiMiNi »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: NEW MAP - The Hive By: RiMiNi
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
ok so 3 days since release no bad comments, not many at all so to speak. but if there is nothing left to say can i just.. release it?

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
No.

On the weekend i make a few screens. U can use the time to look at all barrels (and the top of them) and some textures should be rotated on the boxes. Looks at all sides, then u will see the mistakes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »
Looks pretty good overall.  The big thing to work on would be game play testing.  I've uploaded the map to the beta server.  I think I sent you the login info to change maps before.  Let me know if you need it again.

A few nitpicks:
- The textures around the lights in the hills aren't consistent - some are dirt, some are stone, some are grass.
- Why is the surface of the platform supporting posts by the flag slick?  Just seemed out of place.
- Might want to put a ramp or something to the platform above the flag to make it more accessible to average/casual players that can't trick jump.
- The white inside the glass frame looked weird until I realized it was emitting light.  Would this look better if you used a light texture instead?
- The fancy light fixtures near the middle of the map are made out of metal except for this one wood-ish texture in the center.  Looks out of place now, and might look really out of place with the high-res version.
- You sure you want a white flag in the middle for CTF mode?  Maybe add 1flag mode?

... bleh, you know what?  I'll just make a demo. :P

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 06:38:00 AM »
After the flood of maps lately I wasn't expecting much, but I was really impressed by this Rimini. I'd really like to see it on some servers so we can get some playtesting done on it. Other than the fact that the style seems a little confused, I really like it, it feels much more natural and 'DP' than all these boring PP and airtime remakes.

nice work.

- Dag

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
Looks pretty good overall.  The big thing to work on would be game play testing.  I've uploaded the map to the beta server.  I think I sent you the login info to change maps before.  Let me know if you need it again.

A few nitpicks:
1) - The textures around the lights in the hills aren't consistent - some are dirt, some are stone, some are grass.
2) - Why is the surface of the platform supporting posts by the flag slick?  Just seemed out of place.
3) - Might want to put a ramp or something to the platform above the flag to make it more accessible to average/casual players that can't trick jump.
4) - The white inside the glass frame looked weird until I realized it was emitting light.  Would this look better if you used a light texture instead?
5) - The fancy light fixtures near the middle of the map are made out of metal except for this one wood-ish texture in the center.  Looks out of place now, and might look really out of place with the high-res version.
6) - You sure you want a white flag in the middle for CTF mode?  Maybe add 1flag mode?

... bleh, you know what?  I'll just make a demo. :P

1)ok i will fix that
2)i didnt want people to be able to stand on there and line throught the door etc. so i made it so they would just slide off.
3)ok i think i just got an idea of how to add one in, not sure if it will turn out nicely though
4)actual light texture would require more work (with rotating and such), and i sorta like the way the white looks :)
5) yea i needed something to emit more light at mid and i jsut sorta made that, didnt know if anyone would like it. made it out of wood at first, thats why it has wood musthave forgotten :P so should i keep it or not? and if yes, wood or metal?
6)when i made my first alpha? of the base it was pretty easy to camp and thats why i have the white flag. i guess wether of not to take it out is up to how it is in playtesting.

:) thanks and i will get to that demo later, for now i have a science project to due (that was due 2 days ago) and i have to start and english essay :(

EDIT: ok looked at the demo, i will get to those things too
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:24:09 PM by RiMiNi »

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
@6) I like low point count white flags in the middle of CTF maps, I'm sure others do too

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »
Are you still planning to work on this?  I think it looks kind of cool - just needs some work polish, flow improvements around the base, and better vis blocking to improve rspeeds through the middle.