Author Topic: Features: Music thoughts (not the usual)  (Read 2716 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Features: Music thoughts (not the usual)
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »
None of this is a feature vote, it's just me throwing ideas around, but I totally understand if none of this is possible, but I just wanted to drag a few thoughts together.

Firstly, apparently ( http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10075 ) an in-game music player has been implemented. How do you access this, and how do you play non .ogg files on it (so, mp3 - earlier jits said he didn't want to touch mp3 files - http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15655.msg152924#msg152924 and http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=11389.msg115558#msg115558)? Are there any controls for it except /play?

Secondly, if it has been implemented, I was wondering if it's possible to have the music set at a custom level in-game and at a custom level when the round ends/when the match ends/you're switching maps.

Thirdly, can we have a GUI for all this, please? :D

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Features: Music thoughts (not the usual)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »
It can only play ogg files. mp3 files are not supported.

Copy the ogg files to the folder pball/music and start paintball. Now u can hear them.
U can set the volume with the command "ogg_volume" (from 0.1 up to 1).

There are some other command, which i don't remember at the moment.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:17:53 AM »
hmm, yes, but I suppose could there be a feautre vote for custom volume levels, because tbh, I dont want it loud when the round's started, but I do want to be able to hear it more inbetween rounds, and/or when I'm eliminated.

also, all my 5000 (legal) songs are mp3s :)

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »
i had never seen the original talk about having a music player built into the code, guess i was mia (aka banned for some nonsense reason). the other posts seem dead, so ill just post here about mp3.

theyre legal. (<---period)  in fact, theres nothing illegal about them. the user may use it in an illegal manner, but that doesnt effect its own legality. its just a format, and although ogg is also a fine format for lossy compression, it has probably less than 1/1000th the support that mp3 does. mp3 is the dominating standard for lossy compression. (<---another period)  do you think apple thought they would be sued for making a player for a format that was widely abused in an illegal manner. nope, they thought they'd loose the rights to use the name apple, but thats an irrelavent issue. its the same reason you can walk into a smoke shop and buy a glass pipe. tobacco pipe my ass.

if youre going to include a music player for lossy formats, (im not sure what the need is, but IF YOU ARE), make it mp3. the majority of these kids cant even tie their shoes, let alone convert an mp3 into ogg.

i rest my case.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
sooo, a feature vote to add mp3 support? Just wondering what jits would think of this. I'd like to have some kind of menu where you can select the folder to play from so I don't have to copy files over and re-arrange my iTunes library.

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »
use winamp parallel? theres no need for any mp3 or ogg support.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Did you not read my post? The reason why I don't want to use winamp or itunes or Billy is because I want the volume levels different when I'm in a round as to when I'm eliminated or waiting for a round to start

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
The problem with mp3's isn't that they're sometimes used for illegal content, it's that software patents blow goats.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 02:30:28 AM »
hmm.... I suppose aac is worse, then haha. So it's just a bunch of legal crap that you have to avoid to use it? Or can you just NOT use the codec in a program that hasn't been allowed to use it? Cos I'm making programs all the time with mp3s as their background :D