Author Topic: Fascination with Macs?  (Read 7314 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Fascination with Macs?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »
Since XP, the only reason Windows ever crashes is because you have a crappy driver or a crappy piece of hardware. If an unresponsive program refuses to abide by "End Task," it's because you have a crapass driver/piece of hardware.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
Since XP, the only reason Windows ever crashes is because you have a crappy driver or a crappy piece of hardware. If an unresponsive program refuses to abide by "End Task," it's because you have a crapass driver/piece of hardware.

Mine lags when i click end task and have to wait a couple minutes to close ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:39 PM »
Vista and up is not very friendly to low-spec computers :(

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 05:20:14 AM »
I thought this thread was about macs.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 04:38:59 PM »
It's the fascination with macs, and people are comparing PCs and macs.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »
Macs, don't forget, are also used in (almost) every single recording studio across the country. I say this as someone who has been to many of them! The software and responsiveness and lack of internal 'lag' and latency issues makes them very good. Every windows equivalent and every time I've recorded with a windows PC (top of the range, most of them) they have failed and have serious latency issues.
(just to say, you need ZERO latency to record anything)

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
They use Macs because Pro tools is the standard professional recording software these days.  I think there is a Windows version of Pro tools now though.  My friend records in his basement and uses Sony Acid pro and Adobe Audition with a Persona Firestudio Firewire interface.  He has no trouble recording and can make so good quality tracks for being in a basement with terrible acoustics.  My colleges studio does use Pro tools and macs though...

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »
EXACTLY!! and the point I'm trying to make is that the reason why windows crashes is because microsoft doesn't make everything!! Have you noticed the only reason why  mac would crash is because of the programs that run on it are made by other people? If windows crashes, it's because of a piece f hardware - it doesn't mean that you can just restart the program - there's something fundamentally wrong with that system! On a mac you just have to end the program, and then restart it and it's usually fine. One of the things that hits me is that99.9% of the time, when a mac crashes, it's a program that crashes that you can force quite and it'll be fine. If it's a hardware issue (which it wont be on a mac becase apple made it) then it'll be disasterous and the whole system will crash and you'll have to reboot.

I don't think you should be allowed to be sold a system that has bits cobbled together from different manufacturers. It's like sending a perfectly good cake in the post to someone the other side of the country to do the icing. It works in theory - they both understand each other, but it's just gonna end up as a pile of crap anyway. Nothing wrong with the icing, or the cake. It's the fact that they have to be made by different people.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
EXACTLY!! and the point I'm trying to make is that the reason why windows crashes is because microsoft doesn't make everything!! Have you noticed the only reason why  mac would crash is because of the programs that run on it are made by other people? If windows crashes, it's because of a piece f hardware - it doesn't mean that you can just restart the program - there's something fundamentally wrong with that system! On a mac you just have to end the program, and then restart it and it's usually fine. One of the things that hits me is that99.9% of the time, when a mac crashes, it's a program that crashes that you can force quite and it'll be fine. If it's a hardware issue (which it wont be on a mac becase apple made it) then it'll be disasterous and the whole system will crash and you'll have to reboot.

I don't think you should be allowed to be sold a system that has bits cobbled together from different manufacturers. It's like sending a perfectly good cake in the post to someone the other side of the country to do the icing. It works in theory - they both understand each other, but it's just gonna end up as a pile of crap anyway. Nothing wrong with the icing, or the cake. It's the fact that they have to be made by different people.

The point is that most consumers will either buy cheap premade PCs with cheap components and bundled crapware, and will have problems, or they pay massively over the odds, but get general reliability. with a mac. I have a £600 PC, equivalent to a 2009 mac in specifications (priced £1299), that I built myself from various components, running Vista Home Basic, which has never BSoD'd or had a hardware related crash in the 2 1/2 years I have been using it. Most people just don't want to do the research into the components and required knowledge to build a good PC.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »
Yea, you get what you pay for with computers.  You buy a cheap crappy windows machine and your gonna have problems.  You can't buy a cheap crappy mac because they are all so freaking expensive.  But if you have the knowledge to buy parts individually and build a computer, you can get a PC much cheaper than a mac with the same specs.  Or a PC around the same price as a mac with much higher specs for the price.  Then YOU can take the time to research what parts work together well and make sure your PC won't have problems.