Author Topic: Is this (Will this?) be possible via cron?  (Read 3618 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Is this (Will this?) be possible via cron?
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:19:42 AM »
Hi,

I thought of a new, exciting game mode for all people, experience and in-experienced, and I thought that it could, be possible..

My idea is a "Mixed Gravity" server, where the gravity changes every 5 minutes. The gravity will be completely randomized, from gravity 10 to gravity 1000. This will make the server a lot of fun, and possibly introduce more players to Digital Paint.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether or not it woul be possible to do this, as upon wondering, I thought about cron jobs, and I thought hmm, perhaps I can setup a cron job changing the gravity every 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't know whether this would work or not, or, if this was possible. My next step is to come here. With the likes of sk89q and XtremeBain, I'm sure that someone could easily make up a script (and post instructions) and a set of instructions.

If not, thats ok too. I'll just have to think of another server remedy that will attract more players.

Thanks everyone for reading/having a go.
Ky

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Is this (Will this?) be possible via cron?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:08:53 AM »
If you can get your hands on a command line rcon client that works with DP, it should be rather easy.  The two i found gave "Bad rcon" errors on the server.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:33:03 AM »
Good idea, i think we`ll get some new players.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:20:02 AM »
Well I don't like this idea much. There would have to be some new maps for this mode, cause I can't imagine playing classic maps with another gravities.

Anyway when you're talking about gravity.. I think it could be better to make possible to have more gravities in one map. For example when you're inside of some building/house you'd have normal 800 gravity and when you'd go outside to have gravity for example 400.
It could be well used in some futuristic maps.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »
Anyway when you're talking about gravity.. I think it could be better to make possible to have more gravities in one map. For example when you're inside of some building/house you'd have normal 800 gravity and when you'd go outside to have gravity for example 400.
It could be well used in some futuristic maps.

i don't get why the gravity should suddenly change when you come outdoors  ???

Anyways, rather interesting idea. But in my opinion, 5 minutes would be too long fore the gravity to change, when a map plays 20 minutes. So more like 2 minutes?

Also for the maps, like abnormal said, it would propably need new maps (or not!). If someone sets a server up with this, i'd test it out ;P

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
As said, it's one of those interesting ideas that we probably won't ever get to test. 2 minutes could be good.

If you can get your hands on a command line rcon client that works with DP, it should be rather easy.  The two i found gave "Bad rcon" errors on the server.

Any idea's on what I should be looking for?

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »
To gain new players you should really implement what most new players enjoy:  Instant Respawns

I suggest changing the current CTF game mode into something similar to the original q2 CTF which has the following differences

• Instant respawns
    Flags must be home to cap
    When an enemy flag carrier is killed, the flag has a timelimit to be returned.  More people near the flag, faster it returns, etc

Not only will this be more ideal for the newer players, it will also create more team play in the match scene. 

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:43:16 AM »
To gain new players you should really implement what most new players enjoy:  Instant Respawns

I suggest changing the current CTF game mode into something similar to the original q2 CTF which has the following differences

• Instant respawns
    Flags must be home to cap
    When an enemy flag carrier is killed, the flag has a timelimit to be returned.  More people near the flag, faster it returns, etc

Not only will this be more ideal for the newer players, it will also create more team play in the match scene. 

If that was implemented, then I completely agree that that would draw and sustain new players. Although, now it's just a way of finding this game-mode to be made.. :/

I'm really looking for a new gamemode for a server that will attract players. When QeHs introduced the Beginner Pubs, they attracted many many more players. But, I tried to bring them back and now they just aren't as popular.

I've also tried Siege, 1flag, Koth, Deathmatch and normal pub. But they never attract anyone. i think it's time for a new mode to be introduced.

Hopefully, something similar to what myself and Olbaid suggested will soon be implemented to make the game a lot more interesting.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
Any idea's on what I should be looking for?

A Quake 2 rcon program that can accept command line arguments.  If I remember correctly, sk89q either made or has a PHP rcon tool.  I think it was on the resource site, but I don't think its up right now.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »
I think this is the one I've been using forever.. taken from a Quake II Linux HOWTO:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/quake/rcon-1.1.tar.gz

I'm pretty sure that I had to change a line or two of code so it would stop segfaulting, but that may have been necessary in order to make it work with the Eggdrop.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
i used to have a rcon program that worked. might be the one bain linked.

why dont you just go for a variety server? something to show off the wide range of modes this game can have. some maps could be based around loss of gravity, like spacecrates, or even just load a normalish map with a fairly open layout in a lower gravity (pretty sure this wouldnt be too hard through the .ent). but throw some pong games in the rotation, newbies love pong. try to use small maps, make them feel warm and cozy like they're returning to the womb.

heres my suggestions for such a server:

bombsaway
anthills (koth)
spacecrates
spawninabox
fff
tb2
woods
razzle
airtimeoi
xmas2k3
back2back/blitz
theice

there are more, but this is all the energy im giving it for now. loial used to be able to come up with some really wacky maps on the spot, contact him.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:54 AM »
I see what you mean mewa, I didn't know you could edit the gravity via entities. Perhaps, I'll have a look at the entities, and find out whether I can make the gravity different under there.

I might make the gravity server, and a "Mix 'n Match" server. It'll be interesting. because they'll always be something for everyone. :P

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »
You can change maps gravity from the worldspawn, if i remember right. (like in otb.bsp?) So it should be possible to modify it later via .ent file, right?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
Forget that Kyuuchi, we just need to do some serious advertising.  I don't know about you guys, but on almost all of the forums I am on, pbnation/paintballforum and a couple others, I have a link to this website in my signature, maybe if you guys would do this as well on the forums you are on, and make some threads in those forums in their (Others) sections about dp2, we will get many more people into this game.