Author Topic: Newmap krakatit_b3 - by sBi  (Read 2097 times)

sBi

• Stingray
Newmap krakatit_b3 - by sBi
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
HI,
other map...
Sky: pbsky3
Teams: 2 - red, blue
Flags: 2 - both sides
This map is difficult for a beginner i think, because there are many hard jump, but not for advanced. (its easy ). There is only main way lead middle of map. It s very litte. I made elevator, but i think, that its situated on bad places. I wait, for yours opinion. Thx
bb sBi

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: Newmap krakatit_b3 - by sBi
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
Second one :)

In my opinion, this is the map with the best design.

I believe that every map with more than 1 flag for each team is too hard for beginners. There are lots of new player who don't understand the reason of a flag. It's impossible to understand it in a map with 2+ flags than if they play against a player who knows the map and just jump, cap and play with recon/tactic. So it's not a beginner/pub map, but there are enough easier one flag maps for beginners. If those kinds of maps don't find the way to public and/or beginner server too often, I don't see a problem with it.

Worst thing are the r_speeds. Over 7000 wpoly in some places makes the map unplayable. You have to compile the map correct (if it isn't yet), add some VIS blockers, add hint brushes or fix it otherwise. I would add a VIS blocker in the mid of the map, because you can see from base to base at the moment. An other thing I would change is the sky. Make it lower. It will save some r_speeds (here you can also see from base to base) and improve the gameplay in my opinion. I think it's boring if you can walk above the map, not really funny.

I will explain the rest of my feedback with the help of screenshots (most of the changes should be done for both bases).

Add a few more settings to the func_plats. Use "_minlight" "#" or light the face to fix the black area. Use "speed" "#", "accel" "#" and "decel" "#" for a more realistic looking elevator.

Don't use the gras textur under the water areas. Choose a different texture here.

Uff.. align this place a little bit better :)

Align this places too.

As I said for the map before, mixed colour barrels are looking horrible. Decide for one colour, maybe a completely white one in the mid of the map.

Almost all red barrels are misaligned. The brown ring should be the lowest part of the barrel. Maybe have a look at the normal barrel texture.

Alignment. Easy and fast to fix.

OK, the red line first. This is the way you can look from base to base (after lowering the sky). Put some VIS blockers here on this line.
The red points are the flag placements. It's not very often, but I think two flags for each team could be nice and ok in this map. But the second flag is too far forward and too easy/fast to grab/cap. You should really think about another placement for it farther from the other base (Hope that this part is possible to understand).

All in all this map could be a very good match map. Pay attention that this map won't end up in the jump folder of the server :D

sBi

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
I appreciate the help very much thank you.... THX CHEF-KILLER.... I'll try to fix it could you help me with this r_speeds? ever, be THX THX

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
I could try, of course. But it won't be easy without a VIS blocker i believe.

planB

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
looks pretty

sBi

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:00:45 AM »
Beta 4
 r_speeds is lower ... and all mistakes were remaked
cant walk on the roof and walls
barrels were repaired ...
i hope, that all will good

Download:
http://www.uloz.to/8145324/krakatit-b4-bsp

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 04:59:25 AM »
Cool, nice to see that you improve some of your older maps :) This map is very nice.

There're two light entities you should remove or replace with source lighting.

You need to add "angle" "#" to the players spawns!

Red: The gras textures doesn't fit.
Yellow: Align/move the faces of this barrel.

Red: I'm not sure if this is the latest version of the map, because there're still lots of misaligned barrels like this ones. There're also lots of misaligned red barrels.

Red: Move this faces a little bit.

Red: Shouldn't this face/s be blue metal like the other arrows?

Red: Oh, still very misaligned this brush. Align this!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
I like the look of the map overall.  It just needs some minor tweaks.  I've attached a demo with suggestions and put it in rotation on the beta server.