Author Topic: Discussion - Demos  (Read 9622 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Discussion - Demos
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 11:43:56 PM »
There's an "easy" way to fix all of this (or rather, would be easy if all the functionality were present).  Server-side demos.  To my knowledge, half of the functionality is already there.  If the server were to record demos of each match and keep them for say a week or so, this would solve the issue of asking someone for a demo that was deleted.  Naturally, the only thing stopping this from actually happening is the lack of a way to view server-side demos.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
demos should be kept for at least 2 weeks.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »
If your talking about server side demos...

Depends on server capacity.  Some people may have heaps, some may have little.  I'd suggest a minimum value of 1 week, and then a server side setting which allows server admins to give a specific time (in weeks) on how long it should keep the demos.

If otherwise, demos are generally requested right after the match, or maybe a day at max.   Keeping them for a week is just there incase its requested over the forums, and someone may not view them everyday, etc.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 06:02:48 AM »

That's trivial, and besides the point.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
if you are asking for server-side demos it is a stupid idea. to much resources. as long as it won't be real-time recording done by the server.
 but for a lot of scripting i doubt it. have the user record the demo and it ill just upload it with a  name attached.

but if it ever becomes a reality, it would need to be set as a server option because not every server has the disk space.

if it ever becomes productive maybe set a option where anyone can download and view demo from server.- just a thought

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
I thought the purpose of the committee was just for voting on ban times of caught cheaters and dealing with abuse issues that are not outlined in the rules. When did these members become qualified to examine demos and spot wallhackers? I doubt that jitspoe is giving committee members wallhacks to replay these demos in, and then voting on whether they think the player is hacking or not. I wouldn't want to see anyone give their demo to these "decision makers" only to banned because a few random people think they hack.

We do actually watch the demos with wallhacks and zgh on and we have the capability of telling weather somone is blatantly hacking.
Maybe we need to question what the point of getting someone's demo is. Recently, how many people have been banned for WALLHACKS by looking at their demo? I am saying recently...

Yeah actually. Homingbullet's last ban was already resolved in the committee thread based on the submitted demo. Just so happened that cheat detection caught him before jitspoe looked at the thread.

Demos are important until we have a fullproof cheat detection. In any case, what is the harm of having them available for review?

@pvtjimmy - You need to make sure that the Committee feels the way you do before you speak for it. You are making some incorrect assumptions.

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:26:48 PM by shockwave »

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:26:38 PM by shockwave »

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
+1

I thought the purpose of the committee was just for voting on ban times of caught cheaters and dealing with abuse issues that are not outlined in the rules. When did these members become qualified to examine demos and spot wallhackers? I doubt that jitspoe is giving committee members wallhacks to replay these demos in, and then voting on whether they think the player is hacking or not. I wouldn't want to see anyone give their demo to these "decision makers" only to banned because a few random people think they hack.

If you're going to start relying on demos to catch cheaters, you should be using server demos anyway. If autorecord was made for server demos, and Multi-View Demo support was added you could download demo of entire match from dedicated server, load it in your pb2 client and be able to switch between all players in the match. I'm sure the players would appreciate this too, since they could rewatch demos from the POV of teammates or enemies, rather than being locked in to a single POV.

The time might be better spent beefing up the cheat detection system.

Promaster

• Stingray
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:16 AM »
I delete my demos and If someone ask for them I basically tell them no. I feel that I dont have to prove anything to anyone, I trust jitspoe detection it seems like it has been workin of late. If I get banned for not uploading a demo then, aye, so be it.
agreed

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:41 PM »
i delete all my demo's almost instantly... due to the fact that ive never been asked for a demo and that i have OCD

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
i delete all my demo's almost instantly... due to the fact that ive never been asked for a demo and that i have OCD

it's due to your skill that people never ask for your demo.

colon

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »
Thanks for your input that basically contributes nothing.

And for the rest of you who "delete" demos instantly or refuse to dish em out. Don't you think it makes you look suspicious? Obviously if you have nothing to hide what's wrong with requesting a demo? It's not like people are asking you to cut your arm off. (Kiddies please don't try this.)

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
It is allowed to do ever the intercourse u want with ur demos so before things change so good reason or not its OK to delete ur demos.