Author Topic: Newmap: Area52 - Deathmatch  (Read 3549 times)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
Newmap: Area52 - Deathmatch
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
Hey all. This is my submission for the DM speedmapping challenge, which I had only started making just now  :P so any problems will be fixed after the challenge has finished and will be for b2. The map itself is pretty simple. Its essentially divided into 4 quarters with 4 speed semi-circular routes, I've included 2 screenies below so you can see this.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3u18u63g3a4gl1c

Hope you like it  :)

blindy

CheMiCal

• Autococker
Re: Newmap: Area52 - Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:55:22 PM »
that map looks sick

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
blindy, youve done us brits proud. good job, great map.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »
quite a big file (4,7 mb). I don't know whether that suits for uploading this on public servers. I think it will have a pretty ok gameplay though.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
He included a new sky. The mapfile itself has only 1,1 mb.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
Thanks guys  :) and yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that this map uses my own sky.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
In that case, ignore my comment about the filesize please :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
Kind of a cool look, but:
- The map does not support DM mode.
- There's something weird at the top of the ramps that makes you move really slow.
- No real objectives (items to pick up, etc.) to make you move around the map.
- The window borders are transparent on the back sides - looks weird.  You'll probably have to line them with new brushes.
- Everything looks slightly misaligned, like you didn't use the grid (most everything should be snapped to a 32 unit grid).
- r_speeds are pretty high for the amount of detail in the map.
- Water seems like it will just be frustrating and not add anything to the gameplay (also contributes to the high r_speeds).

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
The map was made in a rush and It shows...   :-\

- The map does not support DM mode.
Doh!  ::)

- There's something weird at the top of the ramps that makes you move really slow.
I'm not sure what happened there because when I tested the map originally that didn't happen and I could do the jumps easily but now it seems you can't. Anyway I'll sort it out.

- The window borders are transparent on the back sides - looks weird.
Yeah I've just noticed that aswell...

- r_speeds are pretty high for the amount of detail in the map.
- Water seems like it will just be frustrating and not add anything to the gameplay (also contributes to the high r_speeds).
Is the water the main reason then for these high rspeeds? I think I agree, the water is frustrating, I'm just not sure what to replace it with, or how I should change these areas yet...

- Everything looks slightly misaligned, like you didn't use the grid (most everything should be snapped to a 32 unit grid).
I'm not sure what you're referring to. To me most things seem aligned okay. Could you give me a couple of examples?

I will fix all of these for b2, thanks for the feedback!  :)

NJIN

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
looks great

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
In additional to jitspoe's feedback.

Make the name of the mapfile all lowercase.

You need to rotate the viewing direction of the red player spawns (mirrored "angle" "#").

It's right, that lots of stuff looks slightly misaligned. As already mentioned, using the 32 unit grid will help you a lot to avoid this (brushwork and alignment).

The jump pads are a bit powerless sometimes. Would be cool if they would work well all the time.

In my opinion the high walls are a bit unfavorable for a DM map. Maybe you can try to avoid them for some of your next maps.

Some screenshots...boxes, barrels, etc. are just examples. I don't want to make a screenshot of each box or barrel :)

Red: This kind of ramp is something for advanced mappers and doesn't look good how it's done at the moment. The clipping planes will help you to make it properly. But I'd prefer an easier ramp solution here.

Red: Same...

Red: All barrels are slightly misaligned. You need to move the textures down for only 1 unit. The top and bottom textures seem to be ok. (the 32 unit grid would avoid that)

Red: Same with almost all boxes. You need to move the textures down for only 1 unit. Also the small box seems the be a bit to big. (the 32 unit grid would avoid that; too)

Red: Move this textures a bit that you don't split the tiles.
Yellow: Move this face a few units, too.

Yellow: Rotate this face.
Red: Wrong texture.
Green: The textures doesn't fit.

Blue: There's a small edge that can block you. (the 32 unit grid would avoid that; too)
Green: There's a small edge, too. Because of that there're some troubles with the water brush. You really need to make sure, not to create those edges. (the 32 unit grid would avoid that; too)

Red: Some more unclean brushwork. (the 32 unit grid would avoid that; too)

Red: Move the wall textures a little bit like it's done on the right side (green marks).

Red: I'm not sure what you've done here. I guess it's an overlapping brush you can delete. But might be a lighting issue as well.

Renamed the map to area52_b1. It's online @ [OTB] Beta!

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
Okay thanks chefkiller (as always  :)), but I'm not sure that I will even finish this map. There is an underlying theme of the maps that I've created, in that I can't say that any of them have been a success and so I think it's about time to throw in the towel. I might finish this map and possibly micmac If people want to see them finished but I think it's probably best if I don't clutter the mapping board with my half finished, poorly made and often poorly designed maps, much like this one. There are alot of skilled mappers out there and it's not right if I'm taking attention away from their maps which are more deserving of feedback etc.

Thanks blindy

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
Each final map is good. Make another beta with all the fixes, wait a bit that the players can test the map and maybe nobody find something, so you can rename it to final.