Author Topic: Router Help, again.  (Read 1158 times)

capo

• VM-68
Router Help, again.
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
I know this doesn't pertain to Dp, but I really have no other option. Google has failed me.

Anyways, I have a few problems with this router(Belkin N). I was trying to set my laptop up to the router and I came across a Problem. My laptop said that I was connected, and Had Excellent strength. But the problem is, I can't browse the net. It says the page is unavailable and all this other ****.

Now here's a NEW problem that I ran into, and if this isn't resolved... Than I'll just be two steps behind. I went onto my Routers site, And disabled DHCP like a stupid donkey. Once I did that, a box popped up in the bottom right hand corner stating I had limited to No connectivity? When I unplug my router and than Plug my Modem in Directly to my Main PC, I can use the net. But when I hook the router up, I get that Error again.
I can NO longer access that site, Unless my router is hooked up.

Any help is appreciated.

vLaD

• Autococker
Re: Router Help, again.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
limited connectivity usually means no internet connection in windows. make sure your modem is plugged into the router.

also is it a dsl modem?

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
If your computer/ISP requires specific TCP/IP settings, those will need to be plugged into the router as well for the router to get internet.

When your router is plugged in and you can't access the internet, can you ping anywhere like yahoo or google?

And when you say you can't access "that site" do you mean the router? If you can't access the router when it's hooked up, you'd have to reset it.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
if it is a dsl connection at times you have to set the required settings for it in the router.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Routers use DHCP in two ways:
 1 - For the Internet connection to get a public IP address from your modem (a DHCP client)
 2 - For the internal network to give computers connected to your router or wireless a private IP address (a DHCP server)

It sounds like you've disabled the DHCP Server in the LAN Setup > Lan Settings panel of your router admin page. This means that your router will no longer provide you with an internal IP automatically. If your laptop (or another computer in the house) has an ethernet port I would recommend using that instead of messing with your wireless settings. Here's the steps that should fix the problem of the disabled DHCP server:

- Goto Control Panel > Network Connections
 - Right-click on your Local Area Connection adapter and select Properties
 - Double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list to bring up its properties
 - Change the selection from Obtain an IP address automatically to Use the following IP address:
 - Fill in the fields as:
             IP address: 192.168.1.23
             Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
             Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
- Click OK, OK on both screens to save the settings
- Connect a network cable between your computer and router
- Open your browser and see if you can connect to http://192.168.1.1 (if not, reconnect your router's power and restart the computer)
- On the router's admin page, goto the LAN Setup > Lan Settings screen, change the DHCP Server setting from Off to On and click Apply changes

That should fix it, disconnect the network cable and try your wireless connection again. If all's good, you can go back to the Local Area Connection in your control panel and change the TCP/IP settings back to Obtain an IP address automatically.

Good luck :D