Author Topic: Strafe jump-do you use the timing method or the push and hold method?  (Read 2008 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
I was teaching my child to strafe on dp lately (second one to learn), and couldn't remember if I had seen a topic on this before.

When you are strafe jumping it is important to keep your jump so you don't lose speed. There seem to be two ways that folks do this. Many people just time the jump visually. They jump as soon as their character is about to hit.

I think it was from something that Jitspoe said at one point that I started doing it the other way. As soon as your character has started going up on a jump you can press and hold the jump button. When your character hits the ground it jumps at the right time. That way it times it for you and you don't have any issues with mistiming the jump and breaking your strafe.

So you jump, release, then hold, hit ground, release, then hold.

Which method do you use? Do you find one or the other giving better speed?

Justinph5

• Autococker
I think that the 'timing' method gives better control. Plus you won't have to be holding so many buttons at the same time.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
I think that the 'timing' method gives better control. Plus you won't have to be holding so many buttons at the same time.

this, for both arguments

m7feettall

• Autococker

I can see the buttons argument. Though other than text recon I don't do much else with those anyway. I use my pinky to hit the air and drop weapon buttons.

I haven't noticed a lack of control the other way, explain a bit if you could. Maybe I am missing out.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
if you use mouse 2 as a secondary jump it works well. The timing method is great because if you just get used to holding all the time then it makes it harder to link jumps in my opinion. I have always been lacking in speed and jumping ability but over the last year I have improved to a large extent.

joonas

• VM-68
Holding down on the jump key won't slow you down, so don't mind the rumor.

I'm fairly sure that justinph is actually talking about a combination of both methods because both extremes are bad for you. You shouldn't tap, and you shouldn't hold jump throughout the whole jump either.

This is what I mean by combining (I do it this way)
Normal strafing
hold -> 0.1s -> hit ground/jump -> 0.1s -> release.

Falling down from some high place
hold -> 0.5-1.0 s -> hit ground/jump -> 0.5s -> release.

m7feettall

• Autococker
By linking jumps are you talking just speed jumps, or double and triple jumps and strafe doubles?

I haven't noticed any issues with speed jumps, and I have always been lame at double jumps, but that includes standing still too, so I don't think that is the problem.

Did you switch methods in the last year?

We may have to go do some testing on soccer and check regular cruising speed.

joonas

• VM-68
Ah, I forgot to add that the Hold method is really good for doing doubles, ie. hold the 2nd jump down until you double.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
i think i remember reading some where that in q2 holding the jump button decreases speed slightly

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
By linking jumps are you talking just speed jumps, or double and triple jumps and strafe doubles?

I haven't noticed any issues with speed jumps, and I have always been lame at double jumps, but that includes standing still too, so I don't think that is the problem.

Did you switch methods in the last year?

We may have to go do some testing on soccer and check regular cruising speed.

What I mean by linking jumps is simply adding multiple jumps together as you are moving extremely fast. Something like linking sand assualt jumps. Low to high bridge, then from there to top of house to speed jump without slowing down.