Author Topic: newmap: whiteout  (Read 2870 times)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
newmap: whiteout
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
ok, this is my second map which i am releasing for beta testing and improving. its a simple small map, best for 1v1 or 2v2.(although i cud make it bigger?) anyway for this map i wanted to do something a bit different so i decided on a snowy like map, i got to work with wally and created some textures (ps. some aren't that great but i'll sort em out). the textures are in the download link,. here's some screeny's, hope you like it. ty.

download link - http://www.mediafire.com/?jqetwnm5ty0

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: newmap: whiteout
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
Online @ [OTB] Beta

Please make the name of all files lowercase :)

My first impression was, where is the color?. This is a snow map, but I think it's a little bit too much white though.

Did you do a final compile? There is no light and the r_speeds are very high. The map isn't that big ???

More feedback to the map and the textures follows later.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
Looks like a nice map, also the textures are good. They might be a little too snowy, but I think that gives the map a nice atmosphere.

Only negative thing I found: the low way is annoying. The stalactites (yes, I googled that word) are blocking, which means there's no way to rush low. Considering the high speed you can get over the high way, I think going low means an instant cap against you(r team). If not intended, this might be something worth thinking over.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:57:52 AM »
. thanks guys for the feedback. first of, i was intentionally trying to make the map as white as possible (kinda like a after a blizzard ) but it's perhaps a bit too much so i'll change some textures etc. and no i didnt do a final compile as i thought its still beta so it wudn't matter... :-[.oops. i havn't used any lighting because a soon as i do the compile time is just too long and i dont have enough time to leave my PC on for that long...r_speeds...well, would that be the water?..i can take out the water i guess that wud help alot . i'll make the map quite a bit larger then and maybe add a second flag somewhere,,. oh yeah the stalactites ;) i'll raise them up so they cant block...i dont want a capfest over high route. ty.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
I love the textures. It's a great mood, and definitely relates to the theme of the map. But yeah, I really like it. :)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »
thanks kyuuchi, you'll be glad to know ive put some more textures in  ;). and ive added two side routes just gotta tidy it up again for a beta 2 release. oh and what should the r_speeds be?. ty.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »
I'm not alone with my opinion, that there is too less color in the map. Different people in our forum said the same :)

You need to final compile your map always before you release it, not matter if it's a beta or a final. The final compile will light your map and reduce the r_speeds (a little bit, your map isn't big, but very opened), if there are no warnings, errors, etc. while exporting. The reflective water raises up your r_speeds. It should be possible though. I think the bigger problem are the many and complex stalactites. BSP won't like those structures. Maybe there is a possibility to make them less complex or delete some of them without destroying the atmosphere. You can do this when you raise them up. Also make all of them detail.

Some of the textures are very nice, other ones doesn't fit. I wondered why there are so much not used textures in the download, because it makes the file size higher. And almost every textur has the same dimension in lowres and highres. That couldn't be right. You should take a look at this. And here is an example for a textur you used and doesn't fit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the more detailed feedback for this map itself ;)

Use the sun light keys for lighting. It should be enough. Maybe you need to add some more lights in the low area after doing this. Something like the default settings could be ok.
_sun_light 250
_sun_angle 85 -38
_sun_ambient 30
_sun_diffuse 60

Very important is also the angle key for the spawnpoints. Use them always to set the direction the players look at.

I really like the idea with the foodsteps. I looks very nice in my opinion.

And here are some screenshots of the map. It's the most easy way to explain things with the help of screenshots :P Most things you have to do on the other side too. Useless to make two or four screenshots with the nearly the same.

Put this platform a little bit lower. It will look better and maybe save a few r_speeds too. And use an origin brush to set the mid of the platform. At the moment it wobbles :P

Rotate some of this faces by 90 degrees. Align the texture on all of this transparent things :)

Did you rotate the barrels a little bit? Looking weird. Turn it back, that they look like the barrels low mid.

Uff... Make this plank more thick, that it's more realistic.

This brush looks out of place. I would try to find a better (box-?)textur.

Two texture bugs. Should be easy to fix.

Try to avoid those holes for the r_speeds and lighting. Just raise up the ramp a few units.

The same like the first screenshot of the map itself, rotate some faces.

Put the texture up or down a little bit. The dark lines should help you to align those barrels. It should look like the textur ;)

??? I don't understand this place. Does the texture look horrible here or is it a horrible brushwork? Btw. there are two different textures... Maybe you destroyed the brush with the circled hole. But it shouldn't be more than 4 brushes + the hole and the corners around the hole. Here a fast made example with paint :P The green areas are only one brush. Just the red area are lots of small brushes.

Putting a hint brush in this hole could save the r_speeds in some places a little, little bit, because the hole is very thick. It's done in a few seconds. The hint brush should fit the sides low and high (the red lines).

Here is a glitch. This could be happened because of the complex stalactites. Maybe detailing them or running the final compile can fix it. If not, try to move the stalactites in this area a few units.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that I didn't forget anything. All things I didn't mention are good/nice/ok for a first beta :D Keep on working...

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
ok thanks for such a detailed feedback. the texture alligning and rotating is simple, and the reason why some textures look odd is because they're not seamless but ive fixed that already.

Very important is also the angle key for the spawnpoints. Use them always to set the direction the players look at.
i am still new at this... :-[ so please explain.

oh and the lighting issue. the only reason i didnt add any lighting was because of the compile time. if you remember my haw_b1, i improved it a bit and ran a final compile and it was going for about 10 hrs before i stopped it. is it me or is that ridiculous?. i mean it was a really small map so why so long?. or mayb just my crappy PC.  :'(. anyway ty i'll make improvements and be back with beta two soon.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
To your angle spawnpoint problem, you can set the direction of which your player faces when he spawns. So if you want a player to face a specific direction, you add a key = angle, value = "degree of cartesian plane", or 0 to 360 degrees. 0 will face north, 90 will face east, 180 will face south, and 270 will face west.

To add a bit of color, try using one of the rock textures. More specifically, rock3_7 and rocks24_2. Just two suggestions. If they're used right, they could work really well.

rocks3_7

rocks24_2

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
Making the barrels, boxes, stalactites, etc. detail let your final compile run a lot faster. This small map should be compiled in max. one hour with a slow pc and in a few minutes with a better one ;)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:29:13 AM »
ok thanks guys thats really helpful. i'll get to work  :)