Author Topic: DP on a netbook? What stats would be needed?  (Read 2465 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
DP on a netbook? What stats would be needed?
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:07:39 AM »
From reading another thread with one example of a tech support issue it looks like DP may run on either win 7 with like 3 gigs of ram, or xp with 2gigs of ram.

Anyone had experience running dp on a netbook without lag?

If so what are your specs?

I have a notebook and a desktop right now that we play DP on, but I am considering a netbook for the battery life and for an extra web browser for the kids. If it played DP that would be a bonus.

joonas

• VM-68
Re: DP on a netbook? What stats would be needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150.23264.0.html

That's the most common netbook IGP and it seems to run Quake 3 with 53 fps on average. Nobody I know owns a netbook, so I can't say whether pb2 stutters or not. I hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, I missed the point entirely. "what stats would be needed?". I just saw you mentioning battery life and thought that was the main priority. Ion would run paintball perfectly, but with only 3-6 hours of battery life. I will look into it a little better tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:02:37 PM by joonas »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the specs.

I went to Best Buy and tried it out. On a Toshiba with the video card you linked to above, and the 1.66 Atom processor, with 1 gig of Ram on Windows 7 it played Midnight and PP1 at around 30-80 fps.

I don't know how it would do on other maps. Figured I was pushing my luck as it was installing a game and running two maps.

I also connected to the CC pub and had no issues with lag, etc.

I would imagine on an xp it would be better, but I would have to test it.

On the Win 7 performance tab the processor was the biggest limiter. 

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »
I have a Dell Inspiron 11z (the one in the middle; http://www1.euro.dell.com/de/de/heimburo/Notebooks/inspiron-11z/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-11z&s=dhs&cs=dedhs1&~ck=mn) and it works good with around 100fps.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »
Can't you just limit the fps to have it perform the way you would like? I don't know a lot about these things but I limited mine to 30 fps just because I was trying to stop my crashes. Although this didn't help my crashes it has hooked me into playing it that way. Everything seems a little blurry but it plays awesome after a few beers.

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »

netbook not a notebook, viper.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:04:45 AM by Viper »

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 04:40:07 AM »
4500MHD, ION, ION II, radeon HD 3200, radeon HD 4225.
Those are the ones that would run paintball at-least decently. ION II being the best alternative because of its automatic gpu switching (it has two gpu's), but it's not here yet. You'd have to wait a month or two for it (and pay $400-$550).

I'd suggest that you forget about playing pb2 on a netbook though, unless you're ok with almost notebook-like battery life. Just try to look for something that feels right. I.e. Good keyboard, doesn't lag too much while browsing, right kind of screen and so on.

lester456

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »
Can't you just limit the fps to have it perform the way you would like? I don't know a lot about these things but I limited mine to 30 fps just because I was trying to stop my crashes. Although this didn't help my crashes it has hooked me into playing it that way. Everything seems a little blurry but it plays awesome after a few beers.
Just put vsync on, still not too much fps, but it's more comfortable to play.