Author Topic: Seeking Mapping Committee Volunteers  (Read 9080 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Seeking Mapping Committee Volunteers
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
Not to drive this thread offtopic, but Jitspoe, are you sure it has more to do with a misaligned texture here and there over the terrible default textures? I think the low-res texture's on download drive way more people away then the poorly constructed maps. Most pub maps (other then dhemap) don't have to many noticeable flaws.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
I agree with jitspoe. And misaligned textures/bad looking maps is only one problem.

There're also lots of beta or just unfinished maps.
There're also lots of maps with wrong, unbalanced or missing entities/settings.
There're also lots of maps with leaks.
There're also lots of maps without full VIS (or with lags).
There're also lots of maps without lighting.
There're also lots of maps ...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:12:44 PM by Chef-Killer »

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
I'd be willing to critique maps, but I don't have tons of time to work on them.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
It's not just texture alignment.  When somebody plays the game for the first time and sees this (attached), it doesn't matter how good the textures and models look.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »
I have been bugging Jitspoe for a 2 years to make a official level design team

Someone need to make the bsp mapeditor online compatible so multiple people can work on a map at the same time.

Or Jitspoe needs to make a new editor so that way when the level design team needs something tweaked Jitspoe can easily change it in the code.

I'd vote on Jitspoe needs to make a new editor.

anyways i could put in a few hours a week at the moment but maybe more in the near future.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
Someone need to make the bsp mapeditor online compatible so multiple people can work on a map at the same time.
I don't like this idea. Each mapper has an own style how to map and it would be hard to get the orientation, if a few people work on a map.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »
How much time per week would you be willing to spend for improving the current maps?

10 - 15 hours.
____________________________________________________________________________________

How long have you played, how long have you mapped (if applicable) and how many maps do you know?

I've been playing... ehh 6-7 years mapping 3-4 years and i know too many maps.
____________________________________________________________________________________

On a scale from 1 to 10, how experienced would you say you are with BSP or other mapping tools? (1 being you know what bsp is. 10 being you can do everything with BSP.)

I gotta say around 7. Not to experienced with sounds, doors, and other things basic maps do not have.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the current maps? (1 being no maps are of good standard. 10 being all of the maps are perfect.)

3. All the current maps only take in the aspect of gameplay not looks nor anything else. A map needs gameplay and looks in order in my list to be a good map.

On a scale from 1 to 10, what's more important for you? A big choice/possibility of maps (1) or only a few maps, but with a very high quality (10)?

Few maps with very high quality 10-20 maps is all a small comunity needs. Look at all the Ps3 and XBox360 fps, they only have 10-20 maps.

How would you decide on a total bugmap you really like?

If it's too laggy for other players and if their are leaks, no lighting or if the map's gameplay isn't solid enough.

Would you be willing to support/improve maps you don't like?

Yes, as long as i don;t lag when im playing them =D

How much time would you say is necessary for each map (on average)?

A week for a small map.. around 2 hours a day. 2-4 months on a big map 1-2hours a day.

What do you think about beta maps on pub/match server?

I think that this idea is only good for gameplay in matches. other than that i think they should stay on the beta severs. In my opinion mappers should be allowed to upload their maps to beta server change map and test on it privately.

Why do you feel you would be a good member of the mapping committee?

I like to map, I'm active and i have been around a long time in the matching scene to know what people like. This tells that i can Combine the 2 factors of map making quality and gameplay.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
I don't like this idea. Each mapper has an own style how to map and it would be hard to get the orientation, if a few people work on a map.

well we now know who is self centered and isnt willing to work with a team :)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
Maybe, but it is my opinion. That doesn't fit together.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
I think if you moved it into the mapping forum, it would get more attention by mappers. I had found it three days after the fact myself because it was here. Usually mappers are on the mapping forum.

Scars

• Stingray
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 06:14:27 AM »
How much time per week would you be willing to spend for improving the current maps?

- Depends on how many maps are still in beta. I would actually maybe spend 1 and a half hour a day. So, it would be 10 hours a week or so.

How long have you played, how long have you mapped (if applicable) and how many maps do you know?

- I've played for like 2 years. I've mapped for 6 months (although i don't release most of them), and I know tons of maps (when I'm bored, I download some obscure maps on OTB's ftp and try them out).

On a scale from 1 to 10, how experienced would you say you are with BSP or other mapping tools? (1 being you know what bsp is. 10 being you can do everything with BSP.)

On a scale from 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the current maps? (1 being no maps are of good standard. 10 being all of the maps are perfect.)

- 4. There are a lot of excellent maps (pbcup_ series, OTB's maps, propaint1, shazam22), but a lot of people are playing "bad" maps, the good maps are slowly fading away. I'm generally satisfied, but some maps are badly made, and the gameplay is screwed by things like "one path" maps, or ice maps.

On a scale from 1 to 10, what's more important for you? A big choice/possibility of maps (1) or only a few maps, but with a very high quality (10)?

- 10 definetly. Quality over quantity.

- If there are misaligned textures, bad lighting, entities etc..., I would try to fix it and release it as remake.

- Yes, why not. I always want to add my "touch" to improve maps.

- Depends on how big the map is. I would say 3 weeks or so.

- On public, it would be nice. People would test the map, and maybe give their opinion and advise about it on the forum (which, unfortunatly, never or rarely happens). On matches, as soon as the map is playable and without bugs it's fine. A lot of beta maps are very good, but unfortunatly, they're not finished.

- Because I really want to help the mapping community: improving the maps, making them better etc.... I'm not pessimist, this game has a great potential in mapping, although bsp is a bit outdated imo. Furthermore, mapping is entertaining. So, I'm willing to help.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
Depends on school work and exams but at least 4 hrs a week and maybe more mainly at weekends

Ive been playing for a while now, and started mapping about a year ago now. I know most maps and all fairly well.

6 or 7. I know how to do most things in bsp and wally etc.

6 or 7 again. I think there are alot of nice maps but also alot of disappointing ones (some being mine  :P)

10 without a doubt. The age old cliche applies: Quality not Quantity.

(this question doesnt make sense, i think you want to say, "how would you deal with a totally bugmap...")
Depends on what is wrong with the map exactly. Ofcourse at first i would try to fix things however if this proves to difficult and pointless just delete the map.

Ofcourse, Im not one to judge as my efforts havn't proved particularly good and i therefore understand the challenge of designing a map and appreciate most maps.

You can never really give an accurate answer to this question as some maps may have only one or two problems whereas others may have several and the time needed on each will differ greatly.

As long as the map doesn't affect gameplay i see no problem with either pub or match, however, I believe beta maps should generally not be played on match servers.

I really enjoy mapping and generally developing things to do with the game, like textures etc. I want to give something back and help out really

thanks  :)

Lucky7

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
maybe 10-12 hours

i started playing last year and started mapping recently. I don't know much maps.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how experienced would you say you are with BSP or other mapping tools? (1 being you know what bsp is. 10 being you can do
everything with BSP.)

maybe a 3 or 4... i know the basics and can learn fast (have made a few small maps)

a 7. the maps should look good, but they don't have to be perfect.

How would you deal with a total bugmap you really like?
I'll try to fix it

yes

that depends of the size of the map

Why not, if the maps are good, sure. I think that the dream of every maper is to have atleast one map on a pub server. (that's mine ;) )

Bcz i want to help the new mapers to achieve their goal in having their maps on public servers :)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »
Just for future reference, here's a link to a past thread about the mapping committee idea.

selda

• Map Committee
  • Stingray
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
4-5 hours

Idk how long i play but my id is 29584, mapping more than 1 year and i know a lot of maps.

I would repair that map.

If this map will be often played, yes.

It depends on size of map. (but about 2-3 months)

I haven´t problem with this, but map must be playable and without leaks.

I know both sides of game, from view of mapper and player.

Edit:I didn´t read previous post. :/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:30:00 PM by selda »

Burnhouse

• Stingray
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 08:18:21 AM »
5 Hours

Idk, i know many many maps, i can't count. I play pb for 2 years and i map 1year and 6 months.

i think 5 or 6. I know all what you need,
but i know also things you dont need for a normal map, so groups clippers doors and so on (:

8. I love maps with accessoires, but when the map have a good gameplay and you can play it with taktik, its also very nice too.

When the map doesn't leak, i will play it. When the map leaks i think it's difficult.

Of course! The beta maps with many mislanged textures must be fixed too, and i want to help that the beta-map becomes a really nice look and gameplay =D

For a standard-map you need 1week. For a really professionale map you need 2months or 3, in my option.

When it is a good beta map without leaks, i think its ok. For example sassault4_b2 is a really nice map, in my option its a good map for matches.

I would share my experience to the new/old mappers, and help them. I have a lot of fun at mapping, and so i have also fun to current maps (:

Sri, for my english, its not the best, but i think you can understand me (:

- Burnhouse / Burnie

HaRmonY

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »
5 hours.

I play 2 years. I mapp 1 year and 7 months and i know so many maps.

5-6

i would fix that bugs.

yes, because every map is unique.

depends on size of map
There are some really nice beta maps for matching but i don't think they are good for pub, because much of beta maps aren't very popular and on pub should only be the most famous beta maps.

i mapp now more than 1 year and have much experience. i'm really active in the forums
i can mapp with pr0shack terrain :) i love mapping

sry for my english ;D