Author Topic: Our wonderful Carbon Tax...  (Read 1135 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Our wonderful Carbon Tax...
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:25:55 AM »
http://media.theage.com.au/news/national-news/address-to-the-nation-julia-gillard-on-the-carbon-tax-2483992.html?from=newsbox

Yeah we all know she speaks like a robot and could be 2 minutes quicker if anyone else read the script.  Anyone see the flaw/s in it?  I see many.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Our wonderful Carbon Tax...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
Yeah.
Gov't levies $23/ton carbon tax. Industry starts to pay. Gov't starts turning this tax revenue into the proposed help for families and stuff. People get money to help them pay the higher prices. In the meantime, industry has had an incentive to cut emissions, and has done so. Industry now pays less in carbon taxes, but the costs associated with lowering emissions keep prices high. Gov't receives less in tax revenue. People get less money to help them pay the higher prices. This would eventually spiral down to a point where the carbon tax is at a minimum, industry's costs to lower emissions are at a maximum, and the aid for families would be at a minimum while prices stay high.

At least that's what I can come up with on the spot, after watching it once through. What did you have in mind?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Our wonderful Carbon Tax...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:07:45 AM »
You kinda went into more depth than I did with it, but really its just a circle of money.  And to be honest, I don't see those power companies going to act to go to cleaner sources any time soon.  They might investigate, but we've had so much fuss over anything that's a renewable source.  Solar plant is being built or already finished in Mildura, fuss made over that.  People fuss over wind turbines.  Whats next?  Also the other thing, although the tax is for the federal government, the state government (at least thats what i gather from reading the paper the other day) is actually compensating the power plants, some getting over $1b.  So then, they're getting money, why's our prices going up?  The money that's being compensated to them is from what, tax, so its our money.  Why the hell should we be still be paying more?

This is what happens when you sign a document with the Greens...