Author Topic: Paintball on Live Linux  (Read 2720 times)

xip2011

• PGP
Paintball on Live Linux
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:03:29 AM »
Hello,

i need to run paintball on a live linux system. Do you have any suggest on wich distribution it runs? Or have you ever tryed this way.

I want to store the game files on an usb stick and want to run it from a linux live cd/dvd.

thx for your help

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Paintball on Live Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
I would suggest one that's 32bit - it seems like a pain to set up all the 32bit libs on a 64bit distro (I still don't know why they don't include that stuff by default).

xip2011

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:38:23 AM »
please give me a hint to distribution.

I already tryed knoppix and open suse and some other dvd.

Somebody have a clue?

thx

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
It really depends on what video card you have....

If you have intel most will be fine, it you have nvidia you need one that has the nvidia driver enabled out the box - I believe pclinuxos does.

What ever just make sure you disable compiz/3d effects to get a faster speed

Oberhippie

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
If you have intel most will be fine, it you have nvidia you need one that has the nvidia driver enabled out the box - I believe pclinuxos does.
You can use a Persistent Linux on a usb drive. There you can install drivers.

SpeedUSA

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
Look at PartedMagic. It's actually a live utility/recovery distro, but it has great tools for mounting USB drives and extensive support for network and graphics cards.

You can also select at boot to copy and run PartedMagic completely from memory. My guess is you could then copy your PB2 files from the USB drive into /opt directory, and also be running PB2 completely from memory! Might be really fast!

Hmmm. How 'bout a PB2 live distro?

LongShot
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:01:06 PM by SpeedUSA »

SpeedUSA

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
Here's an update. I was able to open PB2 from a USB drive using an Ubuntu 10.4 LTS live CD. Ubuntu didn't recognize my wireless adapter (not unusual) so I didn't have an Internet connection. Ubuntu reported that a 3D driver for my ATI Radeon card was available and prompted me to download it, but I could not. May be worth trying.