Author Topic: Bug (?): redownloading same map, if in different directory on server.  (Read 3952 times)

rafalluz

• VM-68
I have noticed, that if on server current map has been put in specific folder (for example: beta/shock.bsp or pgp/shock.bsp) client still tries to download it, even if the map IS present on the disk (just not in the matching folder, like there is shock.bsp in maps/, but not in maps/beta ot maps/pgp). This introduces unnecesary load on server and I suggest some kind of check, whether specific map is present in any location in maps/ and not just exactly matching one.

I don't know if it's bug per se, but redownloading in that case is certainly unnecessary and unwelcome for server (for client too, cluttering maps/ folder, but it is of secondary concern).

joker909

• Stingray
Re: Bug (?): redownloading same map, if in different directory on server.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
It's not a bug.
The pgp folder for example is necessary to start this map on this one server in a pgp mod.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:32:12 PM »
Yes.. These folders are necessary.  Beta folder is to keep all unfinished maps from cluttering the main map folder.
Each map in the pgp folder has an .ent file associated with it to allow only PGPs.    
 Although it might be the same map, the files associated with it are not the same.

Jitspoe could probably write some smart code that will only leave 1 copy of the map on your computer.. but it would be a complete waste of time.  Too much work for almost no reward.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
I'd prefer a server setting for a permanent expert mode for those specific servers. The pgp subfolder and .ent files would be also unnecessary then.

joker909

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »
Sorry Chef, idk this setting.
And i fixed other thinks with this .ent-files, too.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
You can't know it :D

I'd prefer a new server setting...

joker909

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
ahh ;D

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »
This isn't what I meant though.

Sure, you may need /pgp folder on the server, and ent file too. And if client doesn't have ent/bsp files, they get downloaded. Not a problem. But what if exact same versions of bsp/ent file are already there ON THE CLIENT, just not in the same subfolder as in server? There should be no redownloading, because all files necessary are already there.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Yes.. These folders are necessary.  Beta folder is to keep all unfinished maps from cluttering the main map folder.
Each map in the pgp folder has an .ent file associated with it to allow only PGPs.   
 Although it might be the same map, the files associated with it are not the same.
Here you go 2 arguments why its not good idea.
1)Loosing the possibility of separating betas/main maps
2)If there was only 1 copy of map but we would have 2 different .ent files in different directories (for example maps\.ent and maps\pgp\.ent), how would the game know which one is right?
Also i doubt few extra megabytes are a problem. If you have diffculties downloading the map you can just make requested directory and copy map there without downloading it ;)

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »
1)Loosing the possibility of separating betas/main maps

Actually, no. You would not lose anything. In fact, you would GAIN ability to spread maps in whatever subfolders you please (as long as still in /maps/), without worrying about duplicates/tormenting servers for downloads, but that's a secondary benefit at most. Less load on server is primary concern.

2)If there was only 1 copy of map but we would have 2 different .ent files in different directories (for example maps\.ent and maps\pgp\.ent), how would the game know which one is right?

How does it know NOW? It checks against the server version. Check is much shorter than download anyway.

Also, problems with client redownloading the map are mostly server side hassle. Many servers are barely comfortable as they are, if someone tries to download the map, it gets even worse. That should be minimized anyway.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
According yo the first point you are right it would be benefit.
But not sure if you understand what i meant in a second point, so i will try to explain it clearly just to make sure.
You have:
maps\shock.bsp
maps\shock.ent   -normal entities
maps\pgp\shock.ent   -pgp entities
Now if there was implemented what you suggest, and the game should load shock.bsp with pgp entities it might not work really good. I am not programmer (just some basics), but I remember experiencing problems when i needed to connect a main-file with side-files which were in subfolders.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 05:14:12 AM »
I'm not sure if it's just a server admin problem sometimes. Normally we have...

...\maps -> (finished "normal" maps)
...\maps\jump -> (finished jump maps)
...\maps\beta -> (unfinished maps)

Maps in these folders couldn't be the same, if they're uploaded correctly.

Let's ignore subfolders like checksum, inprogress, etc. and .ent files for now (different .ent files could also base on the same map files).

Now my question. Is it only the subfolder ...\maps\pgp (because of pgp mode) or are there any other subfolders that can have duplicated maps?

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
You have:
maps\shock.bsp
maps\shock.ent   -normal entities
maps\pgp\shock.ent   -pgp entities
Now if there was implemented what you suggest, and the game should load shock.bsp with pgp entities it might not work really good. I am not programmer (just some basics), but I remember experiencing problems when i needed to connect a main-file with side-files which were in subfolders.

As far as I can tell, nope - and I think I got it just fine. Game verifies, if you have proper version of ent files as well, so if it finds multiple candidates in different subfolders, only matching one would load. So situation would be pretty much the same as with bsp files anyway.

Now my question. Is it only the subfolder ...\maps\pgp (because of pgp mode) or are there any other subfolders that can have duplicated maps?

As far as I can tell - any folders can work, it probably isn't limited to specific names, but path must be exact instead. To check, move a single map into different subfolder with whatever name, and watch it get redownloaded.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
Of course any other folder names can work, too. But what logical and useful subfolders already exist next to the pgp subfolder? Just for understanding: the lawl subfolder isn't neccessary, because maps should be placed in \maps or \maps\beta.

For me it still seems that the topic has more to do with the request of adding a permanent expert mode and not with downloading a map twice.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
For me it still seems that the topic has more to do with the request of adding a permanent expert mode and not with downloading a map twice.

Indeed.  The server shouldn't have multiple versions of the same map in different directories.  This just sounds like a bad configuration.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
No, no, no.

It happens also, when you go to multiple servers, which may hold the same map in same version, but in different directories, and that is not inherently wrong thing  of them to have different configurations (how you would enforce unification on multiple independent servers anyway? You wouldn't, also what would be the point?). It is CLIENT which should not care, in which folder the map is then.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »
It happens also, when you go to multiple servers, which may hold the same map in same version, but in different directories...

The server shouldn't have multiple versions of the same map in different directories.

All configurations should (they aren't atm) be possible in the config file. So there is no need for another subfolder.

Which configuration needs an own paintball folder or map subfolder?
1. beta map server: own paintball folder to have only beta maps on that server --> options which map folder should be allowed could fix that. normal, beta, jump, inprogress, (other)
2. jump map server: own paintball folder to have only jump maps on that server --> same as 1.
3. pgp server --> could be done with g_forcedgamemode and a permanent expert mode like already said in the thread here.

Any other suggestions?