Author Topic: Newmap: Minority Report DM  (Read 3167 times)

aircrew

• VM-68
Newmap: Minority Report DM
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »
Well I have had some time recently and this competition is really cool idea, so I decided to participate.

This is actually my first DM map and it cost me a lot of time because it´s something very different than making CTF map. It fits for 4-8 players, I´ve tried it only with bots until now and it flows well I hope.

I already know about few little bugs, I will try to repair them tomorrow if I find some time.

Looking forward to more maps from more participants.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CheMiCal

• Autococker
Re: Newmap: Minority Report DM
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
not bad. for a rookie. just kidding, it's actually a map i think will win. IMO

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:55:37 AM »
This is one of the only maps I've seen in a while that's worth downloading.  2 quick things I spotted, with the hay stacks, use the hay_end texture for the ends of them.  I'm not sure if theres a HR4 texture for them, might look better scaled down, dunno.  Also, the box up top which is at around a 45 degree angle, the side texture looks yeah a little squashed, but misaligned slightly.  Also, the planks on the bottom sshot which are vertical don't exactly look right, maybe try them horizontal?  Your choice though, not saying you should change it :P

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »
Good looking map, I like it for being such "chaotic". I haven't seen 2 ways that are the same.

Just one note on your SS0004 (the one showing the ladder); you might get blocked by the ceiling when going up this ladder too far on the left side. You might want to change this, if this wasn't made on purpose.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:59:59 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot, platforms midair, might wanna put some form of support under them :P

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
Beta 2.

I changed sort of everything you had suggested. Support for platforms added, hay texture altered, planks texture rotated 90, fixed the rock misaligment.

Forgot to name the first version as beta.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
With the wood texture down the bottom, where the angle is where I've hit it with paint, the black edges of the wood, maybe try it with half of the planks hitting that bend to make it feel as if the wood that is split is actually split, not bent as it feels like if you look at it now.  Others are self explanatory :P

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:21 PM »
Nice map! Ill try it out, and tell u how it is, and is this map on any servers yet? Just wondering, it would be good if this map were on a server, players could try it out and give their opinion

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
Cool map. Looks nice. I hope you are interested in improving the map until it's ready for final release this time.

Sun lighting looks a lot better than the lighting you used for barena_b1.

Add "angle" "#" to the player spawns, that players don't look in front of a wall after spawning. It's kind of annoying, even if it's just a dm map.

Because you are using a sk89q tree model, add "requiredfiles" "scripts/sktrees1.txt" to the worldspawn. After that people without the tree model will be able to download the necessary script as well if it's uploaded to the server.

The barrels are a bit too wide, that's why the top and bottom textures aren't aligned well. I'd create them with a diameter of 48 units. Then the textures should fit perfect.

Red: I'm not sure if my script is broken here or if it's a problem with the map/model. Does anyone else have this?

Red: The plank overlaps with the box here. Might want to move it back a little bit.
Blue: Rotate face by 90 degrees.

Red: The DP logo is backwards, you need to mirror the two faces. Use a negative SX value at the surface properties for that.

Red: Sometimes the high brush blocks me while running this way. It's pretty annoying. You should raise up the brush and make it lower later in the middle of the tunnel.

Blue: Not sure, but it looks like the high part of these passages aren't centered well. Hm...maybe I'm just looking bad. I'd check this in bsp, should be very easy to notice/fix.

Blue: Wrong texture.
Red: This brush is very annoying, too. It often blocks you while using the ladder. I't make it a lot smaller.

Red: This brush overlaps with the ground.
Blue: Would be cool to add some stuff there. Maybe a few boxes where you can also go high.

Blue: Wrong bottom texture.
Yellow: I'd add clip brushes there.

Red: Texture needs to be rotated.
Blue: Would be cool if the way in the opposite direction would be a lot easier. Except of the right side, the brushes block the way.

Blue: I'd add clip brushes here, too.

Red: I'd add clip brushes here, too.

Blue: Inside the barrels there're some top and bottom textures of a barrel. Make sure to use the correct textures inside the barrel.
Yellow: The plant overlaps with the wall. I'd just move the barrel a little bit.

Red: Wrong texture.

Red: Rotate this face.

Red: The black plant looks ugly. I'd add one more light there.

All in all a great job so far.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
Probably the coolest looking map in the competition.  It didn't seem to be that popular as far as gameplay went, though.  Gameplay only seemed to happen in the central open area and upper area (both visible from each other).  I would try to improve the flow of the side paths and maybe add some equipment to other areas of the map to give people an incentive to explore.  I would suggest bringing a path around to the tree from the sides and open up another path on the other side of the tower.  The high area should flow smoothly between the side paths as well.  I've attached an image to show what I mean.  Basically, you should be able to snake through the whole map and get to anywhere without having any dead ends.  The whole map should flow together so people will traverse it instead of just sticking to one area.

Also, the jump pad placement was kind of weird, and the other players didn't seem to like them.  I'd work on some alternative placement or remove them all together and have another low to high path.  I'd also make the steps low enough that you could walk up them and not have to jump.  It feels awkward to navigate.