Author Topic: game crashes  (Read 3381 times)

Nikademis

• Stingray
game crashes
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
since I installed the newest version I have been having issues. Sometimes I can play for hours sometimes it can be a game or 2 before the game crashes. what can i do to check i have everything running properly.

Edit: sorry, should have said I was running Windows 7 and it happens on various servers

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: game crashes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
Can you search the error message in the windows event manager after a crash?

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
error message? where would i find this. it crashes and says windows looking for solution and nothing

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
yeah it happens to me a lot. it's annoying when you're in a match and it keeps crashing.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
Have you ever got blue screen because of this? Or is it always only the game? I would suggest trying out other graphic drivers or reinstall your current one(I have to use drivers from 2009 in order to run paintball without crashes). In addition try setting paintball process to the highest priority and running it as administrator.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:32:56 AM »
It's not a real message, but some informations that can help.

1. Open the event manager / event viewer (http://www.spotht.com/2010/07/how-to-open-event-viewer-in-windows-7.html). It needs a few minutes to load all the log files.
2. I have a german windows, so i can't exactly say how it is called in the english version. There must be an error or application error from paintball2.exe.
3. Copy the information and post it here.

It should be like this (with english words):
Code: [Select]
Fehlerhafte Anwendung paintball2.exe, Version 35.2012.1.9, Zeitstempel 0x4f0b4cdc, fehlerhaftes Modul testw.dat, Version 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel 0x4ec028e1, Ausnahmecode 0xc0000005, Fehleroffset 0x00009794, Prozess-ID 0xee0, Anwendungsstartzeit 01ccf0df86f89f20.

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
nope, no blue screen, just a little box that says the game has stopped working. Thanks for the feedback I will check this out.

Edit: this is what i got for the last message. I Dl the dll file, hopefulyy it works

Faulting application name: paintball2.exe, version: 35.2012.1.9, time stamp: 0x4f0b4cdc
Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.8781, time stamp: 0x4a35a71f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001de3f0
Faulting process id: 0x1d654
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccffe98aa9738c
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Paintball2\paintball2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atioglxx.dll

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »
That file is a part from you graphic driver. It's not a game problem (but maybe jitspoe can inplement a workaround if it doesn't work at all).
If the dll file doesn't work, try to install the newest ATI graphic driver.

Nikademis

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
i did that...um, what about an older version of the game, do they still exist?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
Sure, they exist. But you can't join all servers with them and they don't have all the bug fixes and newer things.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 06:29:23 AM »
....I would suggest trying out other graphic drivers or reinstall your current one(I have to use drivers from 2009 in order to run paintball without crashes).
Also try googling that .dll problem to see if someone else has been having similar issue (probably other game but it might help anyway).
Are you sure it started to happen just after you have installed the latest dp version?

It's not a game problem (but maybe jitspoe can inplement a workaround if it doesn't work at all).
Actually I would say it is a game problem? Because (suppose) other games work without .dll problem. I have been getting .dll problem with every driver which supports higher directx than 9. But i never got that problem in any other game. In addition sometimes i had to install the  newest drivers just to be able to play that game (e.g. Brink), and then reinstall back to 2009 drivers without directx10+ support. A workaround would be pretty cool :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
nope, no blue screen, just a little box that says the game has stopped working. Thanks for the feedback I will check this out.

Edit: this is what i got for the last message. I Dl the dll file, hopefulyy it works

Faulting application name: paintball2.exe, version: 35.2012.1.9, time stamp: 0x4f0b4cdc
Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.8781, time stamp: 0x4a35a71f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001de3f0
Faulting process id: 0x1d654
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccffe98aa9738c
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Paintball2\paintball2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atioglxx.dll
ATI drivers are notorious for issues like this.  You might have to get an older or newer version of the drivers.  They constantly break stuff when they fix other things.  It's also possible that the card is overheating.  Try turning on vsync (type "gl_swapinterval 1" at the console) and make sure your computer case has proper air circulation.  Maybe take the side of the case off for a while and see if the issue still happens.  You might also want to disable the reflective water (r_reflectivewater 0) and see if that helps as well.  What video card do you have?

Also try googling that .dll problem to see if someone else has been having similar issue (probably other game but it might help anyway).
Are you sure it started to happen just after you have installed the latest dp version?
Actually I would say it is a game problem? Because (suppose) other games work without .dll problem. I have been getting .dll problem with every driver which supports higher directx than 9. But i never got that problem in any other game. In addition sometimes i had to install the  newest drivers just to be able to play that game (e.g. Brink), and then reinstall back to 2009 drivers without directx10+ support. A workaround would be pretty cool :P
You've probably stated this elsewhere, but what's the exact model of your video card?  Are you able to run Quake2 in OpenGL mode without any issues with newer drivers?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »
You've probably stated this elsewhere, but what's the exact model of your video card?  Are you able to run Quake2 in OpenGL mode without any issues with newer drivers?
Nvidia GeForce 260M GTX
I would bet its because of that 'M' there. This graphic card is based on Nvidia GeForce 9800 but tuned up so it at least barely matches the standard 260.
No idea about quake2 gonna give it a shot and will post here how it goes.