Author Topic: Quake 2 Style Maps  (Read 4523 times)

Ace

• Autococker
Quake 2 Style Maps
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
I've always wondered why this game has a massive amount of maps, and is build on the quake engine, but really has no "quake" maps.

Positives of q2 maps:
-close quarters means quick paced games and much less camping
-different style of play than people are used to currently
-the style looks different as whole, it has a more mechanical feel than most of the pb maps which tends to have grass etc
-fps and r_speeds would be MUCH better

Negatives:
-the close quarters can be bad for pb since its like playing quake on instagib all the time.
-gun choices don't allow for things like rocket jumps and some of the other integral parts of the best quake maps
-lining could be a problem where in quake it isn't really an issue

I guess it would be nice to see one of, or even a few of the better mappers from this community attempt to make a quake 2 styled map instead of the large scale maps that really don't belong on the q2 engine. I think as a whole the game play could really benefit from this change and possibly revive a few of the older players just out of pure nostalgia.

Anybody that has played, or still plays quake will know exactly what i am talking about, with all the space themed maps and the less linear maps with a massive amount of possibilities.

Thoughts / Volunteers?

edit: I'll link some screens of what i mean

1) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ga3g-azhwJE/Tl4vjsi0JcI/AAAAAAAAIg8/CI_xxvaXflY/s1600/quake2_original.jpg
2) http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/f0f/eac/f0feac8f-ed27-47d1-9e00-2ea280366e96
3) http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/modcentral/q2dm1.jpg
4) http://media.map-factory.org/screenshot/640x480/old-school-8119.jpg

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
Re: Quake 2 Style Maps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
I remember that I played already a map that is pretty similar to your 2nd and 3rd link, but just with dp2 textures.

Edit: Gamabunta told me that I mean theedge.bsp

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
What about "theedge" (load it on an otb server to get all textures) ?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
I think the default Quake 2 maps are lame. That's why I want to port PB2 maps to Quake 2.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »
I remember that I played already a map that is pretty similar to your 2nd and 3rd link, but just with dp2 textures.

Edit: Gamabunta told me that I mean theedge.bsp

What about "theedge" (load it on an otb server to get all textures) ?

Yeah the edge is another name for q2dm1, the main map from q2. I guess it would just be sort of refreshing to have a different style or map instead of the average 90000000mph grass maps with massive jumps that everyone can do now.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
yeah i would like to see quake 2 maps :) especialy 1st 2nd 3rd maps that you showed but most of them would have to be deathmatch?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
yeah i would like to see quake 2 maps :) especialy 1st 2nd 3rd maps that you showed but most of them would have to be deathmatch?

Well you can sort of play them with teams, but it would be odd with instagib.

Side note for anyone who knows. Is there some sort of way to make it so that you need to be hit multiple times before you are killed with pb?

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »
Well you can sort of play them with teams, but it would be odd with instagib.

Side note for anyone who knows. Is there some sort of way to make it so that you need to be hit multiple times before you are killed with pb?

Maybe the quake maps from quake live? that are ctf maps?

Multiple kills would be cool :) add to feature votes?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:54:37 AM »
would make no sense. it's a one shot kill game. just play on a dm server on a dm map....

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:25:53 AM »
then it would be more fun having to hit them multile times