Author Topic: PB is switching OFF my laptop  (Read 3288 times)

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
PB is switching OFF my laptop
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
After a few months I tryed to get this game back on my computer and after several minutes of playing computer goes down... Also when I was downloading the game: "McAfee" was telling me this site from where I´m downloading it can be dangerous... What is wrong?

CheMiCal

• Autococker
Re: PB is switching OFF my laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
ur using McAfee, that's whats wrong...uninstall it and get AVG.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:24 AM »
I use mse (microsoft security essentials).

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:17:44 AM »
the game was working properly on my computer (the same computer) before (more or less)... There are problems just after the new instalation. No other program or game has ever been doing this to my computer. I would like to know if anyone had similar problems... And how he solved it...?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:03:25 AM »
Once again Payl. Go away, your sarcasm is of no help.

I don't need any computer specs to say that I have had McAfee (installed on the computer when I purchased it) and while I used it for the first free year, it wanted to block anything and everything even Digital paintball 2. I remember the same error as you have described happening when I tried downloading from sourceforge. Don't pay any mind to this and do what Chemical suggested and use the download link provided on this site.

However, on the computer crashing part. This has also happened to me. On two occasions it was due to a bad video card.

-My first card was not good enough to run the program (which doesn't sound like the problem since, as you said you have played the game with the same computer before) Jitspoe might have a page somewhere describing computer specs for running his game... idk you'd have to find it and compare the specs to your device.

-My second card's fan broke and would over heat. Cards can also be clogged with dust and debris, so try using an air canister to blow the excrement out. And if the fan isn't working on it, it's time for a new card all together.

If you have an Nvidia card, try running this program ( http://www.evga.com/precision/ ) and have the video card's fan speed turned up. Most cards only run at 40% maximum speed for some reason unless it starts to heat up. Avoid that and turn it up manually with the program.

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
Thanks Foxhound & Chemical for relevant answers

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
Even if it isnt McAfee just try switching to MSE its all free and works well
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:49:15 PM by jitspoe »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
It's possible your computer is overheating and shutting down to prevent damage.

See if this setting helps (type it into the console):

gl_swapinterval 1

imnotpayl

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »
Do i insult people? I thought others are insulting me.
I always laugh that very small irony i make is still considered "insulting" and usually result in 10x more insulting from others. And guess who in the end is banned?
I personally think you should understand mine style that i often response in ironic style to questions i consider stupid. And stupid questions are questions that don't give proper overlook at problem or lack of looking for informations on google. It's really easy as that and i know communities that got used to that. You also should.
(Ah wait thats not me)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:51:27 PM by imnotpayl »

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
Computer or some of it´s component is maybe overheating as Jitspoe suggested because - and I maybe had to say first, when the computer switch off, it takes 5 - 10 seconds when I can switch on again... Computer maybe takes some time to fine cool.

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »
"gl_swapinterval 1" works - at least today

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Do i insult people? I thought others are insulting me.
I always laugh that very small irony i make is still considered "insulting" and usually result in 10x more insulting from others. And guess who in the end is banned?
I personally think you should understand mine style that i often response in ironic style to questions i consider stupid. And stupid questions are questions that don't give proper overlook at problem or lack of looking for informations on google. It's really easy as that and i know communities that got used to that. You also should.
(Ah wait thats not me)

If your "style" is to be "ironic" and think nothing bad comes from insulting noobs trying to get help or vets then you shouldn't get so offended when people reply to any of your stuff with insults.  You'll probably say that you don't care but I believe you do. 

If you give some noob attitude for asking a dumb question or not doing enough research on their own then you're deterring them from wanting to stay in the community.  For someone who's been trying to "help" so much with his anti cheat and other things you're not doing much to bring new people in or keep them here.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
Yeah ranger, This is an overheating problem. And unfortunately, idk how easy or hard it is to switch out a video card on a laptop. (i meddling hate laptops)

Get a new laptop or go all out and get a new desktop!

www.newegg.com