Author Topic: Inter-Quake Model (IQM) Format  (Read 3459 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Inter-Quake Model (IQM) Format
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »
So I was going to add some simple prop models to the tutorial map, and discovered that the new version of blender has changed the format for import/export scripts.  After a couple hours trying to get some old scripts to work, and searching around, I came across IQM:

http://lee.fov120.com/iqm/

I'm thinking it might be worth making the switch, since about the only other engine using SKM switched over to it, and other Quake based games are using it as well, so it would make it easier to coordinate with other Quake developers.  Also, it has up-to-date Blender exporters.  It looks like it supports some animation blending as well.

Since it's likely a lot of copy/pasting code, does anybody want to take a stab at this?

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Inter-Quake Model (IQM) Format
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
Exporting Blender models to SMD and then converting to SKM was/is a pain in the neck, really. I'm not making any promises, but I might actually take a look at that, because it'd actually spare me lots of nerves if I ever decide to get back to making models for dp.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »
Yeah, I haven't tested it, but having a native exporter directly from blender would be super nice.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
Could you please try to put this together it would really help. Ill test it out and stuff just don't know much about quake 2 coding...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
Other than a somewhat more "standard" format, I don't know that this buys us a whole lot now that I've figured out how to get skm files from blender again (posted a tutorial here).

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
That parts easy just i don't like doing that part would just be easier to use a exporter straight from blender to pb2.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:54 AM »
I would actually get back into making models for mappers if this gets implemented. because the whole process gets annoying.
sorry for bringing this back up.