Author Topic: new map, possibly coming soon?  (Read 4042 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
new map, possibly coming soon?
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
I've had quite the amount of people asking me to get back into mapping as of late. If someone could come up with a good theme I would be willing to put some decent time into something.

I was possibly thinking of something catchy like Payls Palace!

Toxiic

• Autococker
Re: new map, possibly coming soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »
[A] Payls PAC.

eCPalyipzTiic~epileptic

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
I know we are not best friends but i have to remind that there are a few things that dont go well with bsp and the q2 engine!

Themes that wont work possibly:

- Jungle (too much models and stuff)(q2 cant handly performance impact)

- Huge outdoor scene (r_speeds too high, vis-export does not absort enough)

- Downtown (buildings have to be big, causes high sky + high r_speeds except you lower the map but who wants Lowtown?)

- Forest (too much models too + the terrain has to be done=high r_speeds)

I can tell you that you just dont want to use such themes!
I tested it for myself and its like crap!
With jungle/forest you get always overflows!
And with one single huge terrain you get the crappiest fps ever! (For me 80 insted of 300-1000)
Oh and the export with a huge sky/city will crash everytime because of MAX_PATCHES or something else... (VIS_map_overflow?)

There different themes to choose from:

- Default grassy style
- Desert (Sand)
- Metalstructures (Future)
- Mountains (Snow,Ice)
- Indoor (wood,stone,bricks)

Have fun with mapping!

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
If you want, I made a few quick maps as a side project with some original themes. I can give you the map files and the BSP files for reference. I currently have three. I must warn you, the brushwork is really poor and it's got some custom envs and textures. Tell me if you're interested.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
Yeah, jitspoe doesnt like map prefixes so we need prefix payl_ so he hates it double.

I was possibly thinking of something catchy like Payls Palace!
lol, I can't believe there is not a single map named after me so far, good somebody is going to fix it.
Actually not many people know but I was a bit into maping while ago, and I think I still have one or two maps that are somewhat finished but never published. I think one of them is good 2v2 map, I can actually let someone finish it if he will think it's worth it.

But on topic: I think you Clipz made some quite good maps that doesn't usually get what they deserve, but this is common for most maps that aren't loved by newbs on speeds.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
usm.bsp ultimate speedserver map, to go with skater's classic upm.bsp. you have to spend a maximum of 4 hours on the whole thing start to finish.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
Fix napalm? :)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »
Payl_napalm.bsp
usm.bsp ultimate speedserver map, to go with skater's classic upm.bsp. you have to spend a maximum of 4 hours on the whole thing start to finish.
And you must double check to make sure at least 66% of all crates are misaligned and at least 75% of all barrels are misaligned. Also, total walkable surfaces must be at least 20% ice/slick.

In all seriousness, I do think this game needs more new good maps. If you could make a new quality map, the DP community would appreciate you for your services.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
20% ice/slick.

Pshhh clipz you better make it at least 70% or I won't even look at it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »
Italy on ice.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
Italy on ice.
Noo Italy sux.
Oddjob on ice should be much better.

Okay lets talk seriously.
IMO you should make a great map in the old school style.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »
I believe Skitzo and Nub already released an oddjoboi.bsp and shockoi.bsp.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
You should try to make a map with a theme that's never been done before. If necessary, you could use custom env. I know it's always a hassle when people use custom stuff in their maps and people have to download all that stuff in-game for the first time, but I'm personally a fan of it because it can improve the visuals a lot if done well.

As far as gameplay goes, with your knowledge and game experience, I trust that you'll make it work.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Don't try something that has never been done before. It hasn't been done for a reason. Most things that haven't been done, have at least been tried and failed. It's because indoor maps often fail due to it being a 1 hit kill game - with jumping as a priority. Grass-outdoor maps will always be the most played map choice, so play to the favourites.

It's rare for an indoor map to have good gameplay - people try and fail with it - DP doesn't let you get the detail you'd need - and outdoor maps are the easiest. Stick to what works, and what has worked. It doesn't matter if there's already a bunch of outdoor ones, they all look different and this game already has way more maps than just about every game. It's not about being original - its about finding a map that works for the game. Look at league of legends -> 1 map -- not the best example, cause its a different style game, but its the gameplay by each team that causes games to be interesting. Many competitive games only have a list of 3-5 maps that get played. Don't bother going for creativity, if you can make a map thats outdoor/grassy better than a current one, then do it - and hopefully it gets played over a current one. Simple.

Anyone who says different doesn't understand what they're talking about.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »
I wasn't joking about remaking/fixing a map, you seem to do quite well with an already defined structure. Maybe not napalm, as I believe you have stated you don't like it, but maybe something like...pwa? Could be an excellent looking map with more of a "defensive" strategy to playing it.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »
I've considered pwa, I threw together a part of a map last night and showed mays and chem. They liked it sofar. Ill do more on it tonight and toss some ss's up.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »
^ Chem has said every map I ever showed him was "great" and has "great gameplay" - don't listen to his feedback, its always positively regardless of the map

Also, remaking a map like PWA is not be the best idea. It's literally a 1-level rectangle. There's not much room for keeping the same "style" and improving on it. It's got boring gameplay (you can pretend its good, but at the end of the day its a rectangle with nothing really to it.)

I agree with rick - a map like Napalm. I'd try to make a smaller-pub map rather than a big map. It's pretty rare to see 3v3's recently, and most of the (at least NA teams) are stubborn and wont learn a new map.