Author Topic: HR4 Textures on download  (Read 4381 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
HR4 Textures on download
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »
DP is a very small download, people download these textures if they stick around DP anyways, why not have them automatically downloaded with the game and enabled?

DP will always struggle to compete with other games due to it's engine. But by having the default textures on download makes it even harder.

If Jitspoe FORCED the community to only use the default on-download textures, I bet the majority of people who play would want to quit over using it, because it makes the game so ugly. So how can we expect people who don't know the good parts of DP to stick around if that's their first impression?

It'll have a positive impact. This will also facilitate the process of forcing everyone to use 1 texture pack down the road, as they wont have to find it themselves. Instead of being "you can only use Jitspoes pack" it will be "You cannot adjust any textures".

I don't think anyone takes HR4's off for lag anymore either.

I don't see a downside to doing this, I only see positives. I think it's a small change that will significantly help new players first impression of the game.

Wyze

• Stingray
Re: HR4 Textures on download
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »
Well, when I first started playing it was because of my very out-dated computer. This was the only game that I could run at maybe 30fps when everything (graphically) was at lowest settings. I know there are still many players sticking with this game for this exact reason, they really can't find another free to play game that their computer can handle at playable frames.

coraz0n

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
Maybe it would be possible to make 2 different downloads.
One for good/normal PC with hr4 textures,
and a second one for old/bad PC with the normal textures.
Dunno if this makes sense

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
A note that there are better textures + a download link should suffice :)

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
Simple solution, in the installer, make a checkbox that is prechecked to download the hr4 pack. If they don't want them they can uncheck it.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
The setting to use the hr4 textures is enabled by default and the client should download each needed texture from the server (if the client plays online). So i don't think we need to blow up the installer. Only the tutorial textures should be added to it.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »
^ Does every server download HR4 textures when you enter it? I don't think they do.

Maybe certain ones do, but not all.

Plenty of people download the game and think it looks way worse than it should. HR4 textures make the game look significantly better than default. Any possible way to ensure people get this experience would greatly help the game.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »
The setting to use the hr4 textures is enabled by default and the client should download each needed texture from the server (if the client plays online). So i don't think we need to blow up the installer. Only the tutorial textures should be added to it.
This. If you want people to have all textures, tell admins who didn't do that already to upload the texture pack and allow the download. There is no need to provide the textures with the installer when the game already has a system that only makes people download textures when they want/need them.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
This. If you want people to have all textures, tell admins who didn't do that already to upload the texture pack and allow the download. There is no need to provide the textures with the installer when the game already has a system that only makes people download textures when they want/need them.

The game has 1 allowable texture pack, I don't see the logic of not forcing it on original download. It would be more annoying to take longer to enter a server, than a slightly longer original download. DP2 is literally 2 minutes to download. Most games take over an hour. I'm sure we can add a little bit to the original download, so that once that download is done players can get right into the game. The thing I hate about playing new maps with custom textures is that it takes longer to download the textures than the map itself.

Why not simplify it? These textures are used by anyone who sticks around in DP, because rarely anyone can stand default. So they'll be download eventually anyways. These are the ONLY ones that are currently not-bannable, so why not remove any doubt by having them on download - any modifications to those textures results in a ban (aka not relying on screenshots for texture abuse), and not letting people make the mistake of downloading a different pack. And, all this is done via 1 person as it's that 1 person who is making it so only those textures can be used. Why make server admins do it? You have to contact the 20 different server admins, ask them to do it? And every time a new server admin comes as them to do it? That's a lot more work, and doesn't make it more benefiicial.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »
The game has 1 allowable texture pack, I don't see the logic of not forcing it on original download.
People might not want to use it and we have a system that manages contributing the textures as soon as they are needed. There is no sense in making people download things they don't need for sure when we can also make their clients downlod them when they are needed.

It would be more annoying to take longer to enter a server, than a slightly longer original download.
You have to download the textures once. When that is done, there is no delay in joining a server. Still, only downloading the textures needed for a map is way faster than just downloading them all, you so should exchange "longer" and "slightly longer" here. Downloading the textures with the installer will make the download take twice as long. Also, if they are playing the map the first time, they will have to download the map itself and possibly also 3rd party textures. Do you also want to put the ~100 most played maps in the default download? The dynamic download system works and it doesn't make things any more complicated for a user. They will have to join a server, the game will do the rest. There is no need in forcing them to download things they might not want or need.

Iso that once that download is done players can get right into the game..
They can either way. With the dynamic systen, they are able to download and play the game even faster.

Why not simplify it?
Adding the textures to the installer will not simplify anything. Joining a game is joining a game. There is no difference.

and not letting people make the mistake of downloading a different pack
How does changing the time when they download the correct HR4 textures let people make the mistake of downloading a different pack? They will not have to download one themselves either way.

Why make server admins do it?
Because they will have to do it anyways? They will have to get the maps, textures, maybe scripts and ents for every map they want to play on their server. Why shouldn't they also once unpack the HR4 pack on their paintball folder?

You have to contact the 20 different server admins
There are like ten, five of them host servers that are frequently visited by new players and I don't know one that doesnt host the textures for their maps.

And every time a new server admin comes as them to do it? That's a lot more work, and doesn't make it more benefiicial.
Yes, you might have to tell a new admin that they should provide the default HR4 textures every 2 years. That's still worth keeping the installer at half the size.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
I agree with Myers 100% if there is one legal texture pack enforce it on download and make it so you can't edit it.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
I agree with Myers 100% if there is one legal texture pack enforce it on download and make it so you can't edit it.

AKA the best means. If it's an on download pack (with the game) Jitspoe can make it like the models, where you cant adjust the colours etc.. or you get a modified content warning. Leaving it up to serveradmins can cause wrong packs / old versions etc.. to be downloaded, and not be possible to track.

Not the mention, DP is 2 minutes to download, we can increase the download time a bit.... People can turn off HR4 textures still if they lag. But might as well have it automatically there on start. I've gotten plenty of people from other games to try DP, and their first opinion: "omg this games ugly as intercourse" -- Guess HR4 download wasn't in that server. And they did not go to an empty server either. AKA Not every server will have the textures download. Don't leave room for error, simple addition to the download. Most games nowadays take at least 30minutes to download. More people have good computers.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
Maybe I'll do this for the next build.  I was going to wait until the pack was more complete so I could keep the patches pretty small, but it's not like I've been rapidly coming out with a lot of new textures lately...

Ultimately, I'd like to have a patcher that would make it really easy to release "micro" updates -- new textures here and there, small bug fixes, etc., without the hassle of creating and uploading a full installer.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
I see the problem in the 3rd party textures.
I create a map at the moment and use own textures. It is jitspoe`s time to add all new textures from every mapper.
To save the original textures are good and i like the idea for checkbox on the installer.
But it would be nice if someone want edit the saved textures, he could send it to jitspoe. If Jitspoe say these textures are ok, he can add it to the downloads.
And we can use different texture packs.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
I've been playing for a while and only found out I didn't have high res textures like a month ago, I agree it should be default