Author Topic: Siege mode bsp settings  (Read 5913 times)

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Siege mode bsp settings
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »
Hi, how do I set spawn points for siege mode?

I have a couple spots on one side that will be for the attacking team, and then I'll have a bunch of spots for the defending team. How do I label groups of spawn points for the same team? And how do you make sure the attacking/defending teams rotate spawn points each round when changing from attack to defense?

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Re: Siege mode bsp settings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »
And how do I make grass models?

I want to do a thin strip of grass that can be walked thru, sorta coming out of the landscape, I've seen the model I just don't know which one it is. Also how can I lengthen the models? I don't know it's exact size but when I tried to make the entity func_model the space it took up on the grid was much smaller than I wanted it to be.

Thanks

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:21:02 AM »
If I remember, team number 1 is defending,  2nd is attacking.
Or 2 is defending,  not sure

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
Can anyone confirm?

also another question, do I need to use arghad sun lighting with the night sky or some other form of lighting to make it visible outside in the dark? Or does the night sky provide light?

There will be lights inside the base but I'm wondering about outside.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »
And how do I make grass models?

I want to do a thin strip of grass that can be walked thru, sorta coming out of the landscape, I've seen the model I just don't know which one it is. Also how can I lengthen the models? I don't know it's exact size but when I tried to make the entity func_model the space it took up on the grid was much smaller than I wanted it to be.

Thanks

Sk89q made the grass model.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
Can anyone confirm?

also another question, do I need to use arghad sun lighting with the night sky or some other form of lighting to make it visible outside in the dark? Or does the night sky provide light?

There will be lights inside the base but I'm wondering about outside.
Just test it and see! :)  If it's backward, switch the teamnumbers on the spawns around.

As for lighting, the sky itself does not emit light.  You have to use the _sun_light parameters in the worldspawn to cast light (so you can technically do crazy lighting that doesn't match the sky at all).  For night maps, you're probably better off having actual light sources that are bright enough to illuminate the map.

I don't think there's a way to scale models right now.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:14:14 AM »
okay thanks for the help.

one last question, when I set a base entity for the siege base, for the defending teams' limit of area to move around, is it possible to have different dimensions than a simple box? The top level of the base ground level and up will be smaller and a simple rectangle, but theres a bottom section to the base where the dimensions are probably gonna be larger.

Would I just make multiple base entities?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
okay thanks for the help.

one last question, when I set a base entity for the siege base, for the defending teams' limit of area to move around, is it possible to have different dimensions than a simple box? The top level of the base ground level and up will be smaller and a simple rectangle, but theres a bottom section to the base where the dimensions are probably gonna be larger.

Would I just make multiple base entities?

I'm not sure if the base ents are xy only, meaning anywhere in z will okay for a base play to be. So I'm not sure if stacking them in different layers will work or not. I've never really played with it, just a thought.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 01:33:53 AM »
I'm not sure if the base ents are xy only, meaning anywhere in z will okay for a base play to be. So I'm not sure if stacking them in different layers will work or not. I've never really played with it, just a thought.

Jitspoe do you know about this? Or anyone else experienced

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »
Jitspoe do you know about this? Or anyone else experienced

Just experiment with it.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
You can just use as many brushes as you want to create the base entity. If you touch one of the brushes as a defending player you die, if you have the flag you cap. If this doesn't answer your question I have no idea what you are talking about and beg you to elaborate...

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
No I think that's it. I was thinking the base entity was for the defending team, but it's more for the attacking team to cap. So I can make the a few base entities to cover the ground. Thanks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
Bases generate an axis-aligned trigger volume, so if you need to do any weird angles, you'll have to have multiple base entities.

Side note: If you're making large triggers like this, scale the texture up (but not to extreme, as you might get compiler errors -- something like 500 will work), because the surface of these is actually lit and will slow down your compile times.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
Sorry jitspoe, what do you mean by scale the texture up?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »
Is the surface properties window, there are "sx" and "sy" fields to scale the texture on X and Y.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 06:35:01 AM »
You can do that with every face that a player will never be able to see :)

KURWAJAPIERDOLE

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
If you have max_patches error just change "flag" in surface window ("S" on keyboard) to "SKIP". It will reduce compiling time and base will still working. Also you said "base on the gorund" - it should be from ground up to the sky (or in every window) to work like it should.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
oh stretching a texture helps? 500 times darn haha. okay I'll do that for the base entities