Author Topic: HoneyBee_b1  (Read 5344 times)

sBi

• Stingray
HoneyBee_b1
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
Hello,
New easy map for all ...
Sides: 2 sides - red, blue,
Flags: 2 flags (5 points, 4 points)
Gun: Carbine (only)
Textures: Rock, Sand, Glass, etc....
Spawn: 1 place (base low)

sBi

Download:
http://uloz.to/x2tKhBNf/honeybee-b1-bsp

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: HoneyBee_b1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
Uploaded to #sPec# servers, feedback coming shortly.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
It's really easy and incredibly worthwhile to get the hr4 textures. Looks good from screenshots.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »
Feedback: Excellent visuals except for the ice. What's ice doing in this map, which appears to have a hot, dry setting?

The gameplay is mediocre. I haven't played against anybody but most of the stuff required to get from your base to your opponent's flag requires speed and jumps beyond the skill level of many noobs. Discouraged by their failed attempts at getting the other team's flag, the noobs will try the other strategy that they seem to love: camping. This map doesn't have many strong camping spots but I'm no expert in that subject. Leave it to the noobs to locate and repeatedly use the perfect camping spot. That's all they'll do when a map like this is too challenging.

But let's say maybe you designed this for experienced, competitive play. Then I have no idea how gameplay is and I should just shut up right now.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »
Some kind of cool jumps and such, but try playing the map without doing any trick jumps (like a first time player).  The map should at least be accessible for new players, even if it's designed for competitive play.

I'm also worried that the fast ice paths might be a bit unbalanced (plus having ice on this map does look a little out of place, as baseballdude pointed out, especially when it's right next to water...)

I saw a couple misaligned barrel textures, but nothing major.

I've uploaded the map to the beta server and will PM you the details.

p.s. I was hoping the bees would move. :)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »
I ran around it for a few mins, alot of speed jumps. Ice and sand don't mix well IMO. Noobs will have alot of trouble and I think the game play could be quite mediocre.

Ill look more in detail another time, only could run around for a few mins.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »
I like the jumps. Good map overalll

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
I like this map, good jumps some of them are tricky and it's good. It's map for matches not for newbies. I already told him my feedback. GL with beta2

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:52:39 AM »
since when map cant have ice and sand? who does actually (from competitive scene) care? travelling at 100mph but ice+sand is prob cause its unreal, shieet.

but anyway, map seems pretty, cool jumps, love the ice
bit smaller, fast map so 2v2 should be optimal

sBi

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
Will remake early ...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:52:56 PM by sBi »

sBi

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
Download beta 2:

http://uloz.to/xfM7Kwu2/honeybee-b2-bsp

Uploaded to #sPec# servers.

I haven't played it yet, so I cannot give any gameplay feedback as such yet.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
Beta 2 is better in my opinion, without ice on side, mid high could be usefull. I will tell you my feedback tomorrow on TS sBi.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
Uploaded to ev1 beta.  Better without ice, in my opinion as well.  There's still the issue of trick jumps being required for the flags and some paths.  Just an extra small crate or something similar could fix that.  I don't see the point of requiring jumps to access the objectives.  There are also several barrel textures that are misaligned.  I can point them out specifically, if you want.

Oh, and I just thought of something for the bees -- Q2 had a tempent for flies.  I can't remember which number it was offhand, but you could have those buzzing around the hives.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 09:15:12 PM »
Never really played this with people before, so I tried firing it up for this weekend's Social Saturday event, and a couple major issues became very apparent:

1) The layout is not very intuitive.  Most people couldn't even find the flags.
2) Trick jumps necessary for everything.  Ex: there's a ladder that goes down just low enough that you have to double jump off of a box to reach it.  Why not make the map accessible to more players?

I attached a demo from the game we played.  Might provide some ideas on what to change.  Lots of people complaining about the jumps, being lost, and not being able to find the flags.

Not sure what to do about this, short of a major layout overhaul to make the direction to the bases more intuitive and the flags more accessible.  At the very least, maybe you could tweak the paths so they go straight to the flags instead of requiring all sorts of weird jumps that don't look like they're a primary path.  Try playing the map just walking with no strafe or double jumps and make paths that are straightforward from that perspective.

Note: I think the demo is bugged and one of the blue players shows up yellow for some reason.