Author Topic: Framerate and Jump Height  (Read 5654 times)

Xile

• VM-68
Re: Framerate and Jump Height
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 11:05:05 AM »
This also sucks more server bandwidth right? Meaning people who ping higher, try to send more packets during this, thus causing them to spike a bit while jumping with high fps?
If this is true, then people pinging like 70 and under have a huge jumping advantage than people pinging 100+. Not to mention any higher.

Calrathan

• Developer
  • PGP
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 12:06:23 PM »
"If this is true, then people pinging like 70 and under have a huge jumping advantage than people pinging 100+. Not to mention any higher."

No.  Ping and bandwidth are very separate, especially because Q2 uses UDP.

Your computer can fire off as many packets as you want it too, up to the bandwidth of your link.  Ping just changes the latency of the reciept by the server.

If Q2 used TCP, then there is flow control imposed on your data, which limits the number of packets in flight.  This is not a number of packets persay, as it is a number of bytes.  If you send to many packets, you're going to likely overload some router along the path, increase your latency and cause the reliability mechanism to realzie it hasnt gotten an ACK within the expected round trip time.  This will double the RTO and effectively half the window size per unit time for each packet that has to be re-transmitted.  Therefore latency and throughput are somewhat inversely related in TCP communications.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 12:07:44 PM by Calrathan »

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 12:38:12 PM »
Cal always making the simple man understand.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 01:16:16 PM »
Someone who pings lower mostly means their packets have less delays on its way to the server.  The longer a cable is the more delay is added.  Any routers or switches in the way add some delay.  The server its self adds a bit of delay.  You could have a lot of bandwidth and still ping high.  This is why satilite connections suck for gaming, cuz there is a huge delay involved in sending a packet to the satelite in space and then coming back down again to the server, then having to go through the whole thing again, more or less.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 03:59:38 PM »
how could anyone even run q2 at 200fps?

how'd you do that jits?

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 04:39:22 PM »
Ahh i see, thanks cal! =]

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2004, 02:35:17 AM »
Actually the ping and bandwidth are tied together in a way.  The client maintains a history of packets sent so it can do proper prediction.  If it doesn't get a reply from the server before the history fills up, you start getting phonejacked.  So basically you have to have a fast computer, a low ping, AND plenty of bandwidth for super high jumps.  I think the low ping is actually more important, because you can drop several packets and still be ok.

Here's a graph that shows the client history, so you can see what I'm talking about (80fps):

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2004, 05:29:19 AM »
is that...jump hight?

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2004, 03:01:33 AM »
So i was somewhat right. Ownage!

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2004, 04:41:51 AM »
And dont ever limit jumping.. the day that happens is the day I never come back =p

I like the arcade-ish, Quake action style of Paintball. The jumps, I reluctantly admit, add to the game more than they detract from it (although the hill launching is a little cheap).

Refer: http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~digitalpaint/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1041378836;start=5#5

Why dont we poll on this jit?