Author Topic: Light length casting  (Read 1733 times)

CarbineXT

• Stingray
Light length casting
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »
Hello all,

Is it possible to get a light to shed light farther, but not brighter? Eg, I'd like a dim light that throws light really far.

Thanks.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Light length casting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:56:40 AM »

CarbineXT

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:18:14 PM »
Thanks, that looks like the tool for the job.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »
CarbineXT, you ask alot of mapping questions but i have yet to see a map of yours. Wonder what you're working on.

:D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
I want to say arghrad gives you some options to do things like that if you use light entities, but I don't remember for certain.  Check out http://www.planetquake.com/arghrad and see if it has anything there.

CarbineXT

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »
Lol Smokey, I guess it's down to the old problem I have of several ideas and not much time :).

Thanks jitspoe, I'll do that as well. I'm not sure which will answer better to my needs. Which of the two methods are more efficient as to compile times? Or any other important thing.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 02:58:02 PM »
Lol Smokey, I guess it's down to the old problem I have of several ideas and not much time :).

Thanks jitspoe, I'll do that as well. I'm not sure which will answer better to my needs. Which of the two methods are more efficient as to compile times? Or any other important thing.
post some screens :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:08:48 PM »
The link eiii posted states that it will increase compile times, so if arghrad supports different light parameters, it will be faster.

CarbineXT

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 05:12:09 PM »
Hmm, I couldn't find anything at first look and compile times don't seem to be a problem at the moment, so I'll stay with the former method.

Screens of what Smokey?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
your maps.

CarbineXT

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »
Lol, I don't know that that would be advisable. Since my best to date, I hadn't finished the base design so it wasn't lighted, I dropped that one because r_speeds were going over 3000 and vising just wasn't going. It was pretty well detailed, designed for two team fights, one in a village and one in a castle. The castle was done apart from lighting and the village had a fair bit in it, however then I discovered I was tipping the scales in terms of r_speeds and vising time.