Author Topic: The Thirst Arena  (Read 2577 times)

SmackWaters

• VM-68
The Thirst Arena
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
I'm sure a few people have seen some previews of this map on my server, and I'm happy to say that i can finally release an official beta version. For those of you who haven't seen the previews, this map is basically a ruined desert arena. My purpose in this map was practicing using clipping planes, and i will say it turned out pretty well. Also, i was trying to top construction, and i think i managed that too. Some features of this map are:

- Working dart guns; 2 that you control and 2 that fire automatically.
- lots of clipping planes!  ;)
- Capture the flag mode
- Plenty of good camping places!  ;D
- Lots of routes between the bases.

i know there are still several issues, mainly texture alignment, but i thought I'd at least get a beta version out there. Here is a download and some screens  :D

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: The Thirst Arena
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 01:57:06 PM »
thats a pretty sweet looking map! it looks like it would play great with a good number of people.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:39:15 PM »
thats a pretty sweet looking map! it looks like it would play great with a good number of people.

thanks!  :)

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
eh, looks ok for a pub map.

did i mention get hi-res textures?

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:17:54 PM »
i think the map would play better if it was less cluttered. i mean yeah its good to see that you're good at mapping, but in the future try to make maps with a little less objects so there is more room to gain speed.  People like strategic jumps and stuff too in maps like backdoors and double back doors, multiple routs and stuff are a great thing too. overall id say that i dont like the map, but you as a mapper definatly have potential to be great

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »
I think what seems to be the spawn area (picture 3) might cause some lag problems with all these things visible in the open.  I guess it would be better to have the players spawn with equipment, and especially not have all ammopacks and other things in one location, but rather distributed throughout the map (strategically? :P).
Aside from that, the map looks quite interesting, and it shows your capabilities, but I agree with J0E, I don't really think it will be greatly playable.  Maybe some people might see that different, but they'd be the ones who love maps like barrels.bsp ;)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:27:56 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 09:23:21 PM »
...why is there flowing sand that both appears and disappears out of nowhere?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 05:17:36 AM »
It looks like you dropped a stick of dynamite by Stonehenge and just went with it...the texture colors are kinda gross too. I like the idea of having items high up and having jumping platforms though.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
Your brush construction still seems very haphazard.  While it kind of works for this map, you really need to work on keeping your brushes aligned.  That sand fall is trippy, but it doesn't make sense that you can climb up it (also, I think you're using the hay texture, which looks fine now, but it may look really bad when a high res texture is made).

For the bunker on the ground in area2_thirst.JPG, you should make the edges flush with each other.  It looks weird now (mysteriously suspended with no support).

As DT said, there are places you can get stuck.  I don't have time to point them all out right now, but I did find the colored strips above the ladders annoying (you don't get stuck stuck, but you do have to drop down and climb the ladder again).

I put the map up on the EV1 beta server so it can be play tested: paintball2://216.127.68.86:27919

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »
i knew there was a lot of stuff to work on. I'm surprised you didn't mention the texture alignment in the yellow base, jits. i will try to fix the problems you mentioned though. I may also make a version where the arena is in good condition, (ie. no cracked walls, fallen pillars etc.) for those of you who are not fans of the camping clutter maps.