Author Topic: Build 16 field of view glitch  (Read 5067 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Build 16 field of view glitch
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 06:45:31 PM »
Fisheye quake is rendered in software mode and is very slow.

As I've already mentioned, the glitch has been fixed for the next version.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »
There should be a FOV setting in the GUI for the players who dont know q2 cmds or something similar for players that have not clue about IRC or the forums.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 11:03:54 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:37:18 PM by IronFist »

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 01:02:47 PM »
If they don't know about the community (ie: super casual player), they probably don't care to get the slight edge FOV boosting gives you.

True

Why cap the fov?  Zooming out can be really helpful at times.  Is it possible to fix the wallhack problem without capping it?  I think that would be the best thing to do.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »
As I've already mentioned, the glitch has been fixed for the next version.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 05:43:04 PM »
You said that already, but you're SURE that you can see through walls in the next version? ;)

Also, how hard would it be to up the maximum FOV? Is it just changing a number somewhere, or is it harder than that? I ask because I'd just like to see what fov 270 or 360 is like. ;)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »
If they don't know about the community (ie: super casual player), they probably don't care to get the slight edge FOV boosting gives you.
Why does the super casual player get to use it and others don't? That makes no sense. Let me get this correct. You feel only certain player should have the right to use this, because they learned it from another player? That is currently  how most tweaks are learned, correct? This needs to be pointed out to new players, so that if they wanted, they could take advantage of this cmd.

Jitspoe really in the intrest of fairness all tweaks should be have separate section in the GUI. Maybe not the ability to adjust via the GUI per say. But a clear disclaimer of why you should do this put into a link in the GUI. Going to digitialpaint.org is good, this would be more fair and new player friendly which is better. Someone please tell me why this is wrong to have. I can only see a positive impact. Or would you perfer to keep your new players in the dark, until they find a kind dp troll (which is rare btw) to help them.

Feel free to moves to build 18 suggestions or what ever.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 10:48:37 PM »
Lila, there are people that have asked on this forum how to turn the HUD off, and that has a really clear button. FOV barely gives you an advantage, it just changes how the game 'feels' in my opinion. Putting it in the GUI won't make every player find it. Even then, as IronFist said, casual players would probably keep it to what they were used to anyway.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 11:03:53 PM »
I understand your point. Do you understand mine?

I did mentioned that the controls do not have to be implemented in the GUI !!!!! :)

All is needed is a clear disclaimer. Saying something to new players "Following these tweaks can greatly improve your chances for success."  and link to instructions.

How could they miss this....
Players starts game and see this

PLAY
                  SETUP
                   QUIT

Console       TWEAKS      Website

This is just a quick example to my suggesting.

Why is this not a good idea? Because you feel some players might ignore it or be to lazy to follow? I truly hope I am misunderstanding your stance. Don't you want all players to have the same advantages? A simple yes or no will do.

Thanks for your input.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 11:06:29 PM »
How could they miss Setup? And they really won't 'greatly improve' your chances for success. I just don't think we need an idiot-proof menu.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 03:20:36 AM »
And they really won't 'greatly improve' your chances for success.
Ok. I agree for some players.

Some players actually do benefit from them. I doubt they would like that ability taken away.

Not all important tweaks are in the Setup. I can live with that.

But in this case FOV is a very important command to a lot of people. Or do you disagree?

All I am saying is this cmd and maybe a few tweaks deserve special attention, with there own section in the gui and labled as 'important information before starting' and show a urgency to get players to learn these.

This is not a bad idea. It only helps others. It does not harm your ability to play. There is no reason not to.

Lastly,
don't think we need an idiot-proof menu.
Posting what you think it is fun isn't it? :)

Explaining why you think this way, is more important than the fact that you can think and form an opinion. Which I give you credit for.

Let me know.

[

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 08:46:01 AM »
Loial, it's nice to think you can give everyone the same advantages, but that's never going to happen.  New tricks are being found all the time.  Everyone is trying to make this game even for the newbies and the long-time player.  Why not just let them learn like we did?  Just because a player who has been playing for several years has the advantage because he/she has much more experience, are you going to try and implement some sort of a handicap to even it out for the new players?  Seriously, we all learned how to play and didn't complain, I don't see what Jitspoe has against this stuff, no offense.  I remember showing a map of mine to Jitspoe a while ago and I was told the jumps to the flag were to hard to get to and that it would scare off new players because they couldn't get to the flag.