Author Topic: Phantom Leak!  (Read 9598 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Phantom Leak!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »
You probably have too much light in there.  It looks like you have bright lights every 5 feet or so.  With bounce on, it will effectively double this.  Also, 20 is probably an excessive value.  I can't remember what the default is, but I think it's more like 4 or 8.

Another problem is the new textures are brighter than the standard q2 textures, so the bounced light tends to be brighter than it should be and looks funky in some areas.  I really need to re-wal all of the textures with a different palette so they will look right.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2005, 02:03:19 AM »
Okay, fixed stuff. Made light bounce. Looks better now, less lights. Yawn. Some lights too bright. Only half-hour compile time. Still need to mirror. Yawn.

http://www.freewebs.com/eri3ch/cfort9t.zip

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2005, 01:09:23 AM »
The lighting looks better, yes, but the map is still rather bland.  Very square-ish.  Also, the r_speeds are really high -- in excess of 2000 in some areas, and it's going to get a lot worse if you put the other base straight across the bridges.  Also, doing that will mean almost all of the combat will take place in the huge open area with the bridges.  High r_speeds + lots of players = bad lag.  Not to mention, there's no cover and you're pretty much screwed if you land in the water because it takes so long to swim to/through the pipe.  Somebody could probably grab and cap before you even got to the base.

Some notes on the lighting:  I'd reduce/remove the water light - it looks almost fullbright underwater.  You need to use metal textures around the edges of the light and only have the main surface lit.  Also, many of the lights need to be properly aligned (there are many barrel textures that need to be aligned as well -- and one barrel is part way in the wall!)

To be completely honest, I don't see what you have so far working out very well.  If you really want to go with that design, I'd re-do the whole thing about 1/4-1/2 the size.  It's just too open/bland right now.  The proportions are pretty ridiculous, too.  Since 9 units is about 1 foot, that means the bridges are about 35 feet wide.  Unless you're trying to make 2-lane overpasses, that's really freaking huge for a bridge. :)  Obviously you have to compensate for the insane movement speed, but try to make the size of things at least somewhat believeable.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2005, 07:13:47 AM »
To be completely honest, I don't see what you have so far working out very well.

Look at the lighting the first time around. Now look at the lighting this time. I think that's a good amount of improvement for about 2 hours of work.

Now that I think about it, the middle area is pretty wide. The bases really could use some shrinking. Also, who said it was going to be a straight path between each base? I was origionally going to do that, but decided against it a loooong time ago.

Yes, there will be a ladder to get you out of the water.

Also, I LIKE huge bridges!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2005, 11:15:18 AM »
I wasn't referring to the lighting there -- just the general structure/layout of the map.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2005, 05:28:10 PM »
But see, I was.