Author Topic: Where are all the servers?  (Read 2764 times)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
Where are all the servers?
« on: November 04, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
Am I the only one seeing this or are half the servers periodically missing?  I check with All Seeing Eye, Kquery4, and Gamespy.  Gamespy has a message that states:

"We are currently aware of the lack of servers showing for Quake 2. However, this problem resides with ID Software rather than us, and we must await a solution from them. Thanks for your understanding!"

I'm noticing that half the Graffiti servers show up and half aren't...  any clues??  ??? ??? ???

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:31:53 PM by IronFist »

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
Re: Where are all the servers?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 11:01:25 PM »
Holy quit evading the filter even on Jitspoe's server browser only 2 of the 8 GRaFFiTi servers are showing up on the list... WTF is going on??!!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 07:45:44 AM »
I see classic 1 and 2, classic match 1 and 2, match 1 and 2, and pub 1 and 2.  Isn't that all of them?

I think the reason they weren't showing up in other server browsers was because id's master server went down (that's my guess as to why they referenced id software).  I don't know why they wouldn't show up in the paintball2 browser, though.  Sometimes packets just get lost and you have to refresh a couple times.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »
I most always refresh at least 3 times as a habit on ASE and Kquery4... Still the same problem...

What's also weird is I can see the servers in Kquery4 but when I click to join them it attempts to connect but acts like the server is not there repeating "status query sent" over and over.  In GameSpy those same servers do NOT show up at the time.

Remember this is periodically... Not all the time.... Right now all the GRaFFiTi servers show up on everything and work fine but there are other servers, at least on the Kquery4 list that show up but I can't connect to them.  Again I refresh the list at least 3 times...

Could this have anything to do with my ISP?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 07:03:02 PM »
I don't know.  When you're not able to connect, are you not able to connect to to ALL the GT servers, or just some of them.  If it's just some of them, is it the same ones every time?  Are there certain ports it consistently can't connect to?  See if you can find any patterns.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »
It's quiet random.... Another thing that was strange was that I could rcon in and kill the servers that I was unable to join... Once I restarted them I was able to connect.

Of course I can't do this with any other servers other than GRAFFiTi's because I don't have that access

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 01:37:20 PM »
That is strange that you could rcon them but not connect.  I wonder if it's some case where a lot of packets are getting dropped or certain data simply isn't transmitting.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »
I'm unsure... I've never seen anything like it...  Just started a couple of days ago.  Today I was adding carpathian to the rotation from within the game on a server I was connected to and while I was messing with it the server seemed to hang up and then I got a screen like this:

Then I looked at the server list on Kquery4, tried to connect and then got the same thing...  I had to kill 3 servers and restart them again before I was able to connect to them.... Also still several other servers besides ours that I was unable to connect too.

P.S. I have since loaded your carpathian.txt file LOL

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »
You aren't by chance starting two servers on the same port, are you?

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 02:51:12 PM »
No sir... been restarting them the same for awhile now:

Classic 1 - 27910
Classic 2 - 27912
Pub 1 - 27911
Pub 2 - 27913
Classic Match 1 - 27916
Classic Match 2 - 27915
Match 1 - 27917
Match 2 - 27918

Right now Pub 2 is doing it GRaFFiTi PainT ={Pub 2}= (69.93.11.66:27913) : 30ms | Map: back2back | Slots: 12/14 | US

Shows people on it on Kquery from the server line but when you click it there are really no players.  Can't connect to it either :(

I'm actually NOT able to recon into them either... (My Bad)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »
Well, here is my guess as to what might be happening.  For some reason, the servers might be having trouble resolving the serverlist url, causing them to freeze up for a period of time.  It's not showing up in the list at all for me, so I think your browser must have cached it.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 06:13:18 PM »
Yeah Kquery caches them but GSA, ASE and your browser tool don't see them at all.

Is this an issue that I can fix, is it on your end, or could the problem with ID Software be the cause...  Also, I wonder if anyone besides me is having these problems?

---

I can also say that whatever it is it kills the server...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 06:54:38 PM »
I don't suppose there is any way you can actually view the server console to see if any messages are displayed.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »
Don't have the access :(   The problem though is not just with the GRaFFiTi servers...  I randomly catch other servers the same way....

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 09:38:24 PM »
I'm starting to believe that what you said earlier: "I think the reason they weren't showing up in other server browsers was because id's master server went down" is the total problem because it's not just GRaFFiTi servers with the problem.

Gamespy still has this message up: "We are currently aware of the lack of servers showing for Quake 2. However, this problem resides with ID Software rather than us, and we must await a solution from them. Thanks for your understanding!"

What sucks is that no server owners or admin seem to be having the same issues or at least they're not chiming in on this post.

I got in contact with Snipen and the main server has been restarted. I restarted all the servers so everything is fresh from our end yet I am still getting the problem of servers randomly crashing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 01:02:09 PM »
It looks like some OTB servers might be having a similar issue.  If the servers are just crashing, I'll try to get you a new server build put together.  I think I've fixed a few stability issues.  It might have to wait until after this weekend, though.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 03:16:29 PM »
You really think that has anything to do with it?  I installed the latest, well you know when, and the servers have run fine for several weeks...  I've seen it with more than OTB and GRaFFiTi too. 

I'll certainly be glad to upgrade though...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »
I don't know what it is at this point.  Unless I can reproduce it, it's very difficult to fix.