Author Topic: Cusoman's New Map...  (Read 5262 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Cusoman's New Map...
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
That he doesn't wanna release.

He thinks everyone is going to hate it, and it's bad... yet look at half the maps being released recently. So I'm posting it on here, enjoy!!!! Cusoman gave me permission to.

My opinion - It's well made, small, good for 2s/3s, very simple, it'll be great for pubs and I 'think' good for matches? The fog midlow is pretty cool.

Map: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/22929619/catatoph_b2.bsp

Feedback?

[10:39] <Cuso|maN> wow you really did release it
[10:39] <Cuso|maN> I lyke d1ck.

btw - I helped with this map :)

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
Re: Cusoman's New Map...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »
Looks nice.
God job :)

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:09:35 AM »
Small maps are the best for gameplay IMO.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:47:56 AM »
btw - I helped with this map :)

He thinks everyone is going to hate it, and it's bad...

Should we guess why it is such a bad map? ;)

Nah, just kidding. As soon as this map gets officially released it will be played a lot. As said before, it's perfectly suited for 'smaller' matches. I like it :)

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »
This map reminds me greenhill. Except snow.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:08:49 AM »
Looks pretty good but won't get played in the american match scene just because it's new.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
Looks pretty good but won't get played in the american match scene just because it's new.

Actually, most 'good' new maps get played constantly for the first two weeks after being released, then disappear as they never leave the beta stages. Don't believe that? Zpar11_beta[stayed being played] - wobluda[which stayed being played] - banlieue13 - flaw_mines - sass4 - pbcup_2fort5 etc.. They get played, just they never get finished. Plus a lot of the new maps just don't play well. But I truly think this map would be played if cuso followed through and finished it.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »
Online and in the rotation from [OTB] Beta.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
Can't download it :/. Directs me to this page: http://www.funny-games.biz/main.html

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »
Actually, most 'good' new maps get played constantly for the first two weeks after being released, then disappear as they never leave the beta stages. Don't believe that? Zpar11_beta[stayed being played] - wobluda[which stayed being played] - banlieue13 - flaw_mines - sass4 - pbcup_2fort5 etc.. They get played, just they never get finished. Plus a lot of the new maps just don't play well. But I truly think this map would be played if cuso followed through and finished it.

Zpar and Wobluda stuck with the american clan scene, those other maps you suggested did get played for, like you said, 2 weeks then dropped off the radar. Personally, I've never even seen sass4 and flaw_mines being played :S So like I said, it probably won't get played and if it does, people will most likely just complain about it being a map they don't know.

nook

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
This map is not new

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »
Very, very nice to see a new and good looking map with only one flag for each team (and no ice, yeah!) ;) Wish there were more new maps like this.

I like the map, figured out just one small problem. There is no easy and fast way to leave the mid if you are low and the enemy camps at the first flag or this long ramp. Maybe you could add a ladder in the corner where you can fall down.

Couldn't find lot's of misaligned textures, because there are almost two textures and you don't really have to align them :D But it looks very good with this two textures.

The only textures you have to align are some of the wood textures in both of the bases. Look at these black lines through it, they doesn't fit always. Click on the pics, it's hard to see at these small ones.

EDIT: One more thing. I don't understand the reason of this transparent brush; in this place is a mistake with it though. You can see it better while moving around a litte bit.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:09:50 AM »
Well I never intended for this map to be released but seeing as it was I might as well add it to my list of released beta maps. :)

Whenever I ask people about my maps most of the time I am told they have bad gameplay, bad jumps, have no flow, make no sense, or are just bad.  I can never really figure out why since my maps have gameplay based off of other popular maps and look as nice or nicer then almost all popular map choices.  I mean, people claim my jumps are terrible and easy but are the jumps in pbcup_pforest or propaint1 any more difficult?  If you can complete the jump why does the initial time it takes to learn it matter? If i could get some feedback as to why my maps are unmatchable or unplayable that would be great.  An interesting thing happened with Catatoph: I really dislike how it looks and plays, but everyone that sees it (off and on forums) likes it?  Seriously I want to know what makes a map like-able.

About catatoph_b3:
-Finished Lighting
-Added a ladder out of low
-Fixed misaligned textures
@Chef thanks for your feedback, but i cannot figure out what you are highlighting in your last screenshot

Have fun and tell me why you like it so I can duplicate this in the future. :)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:47 AM »
what I liked a lot is possibility for quick gameplay. It's a quite small map, but there are enough opportunities to get to the flag.

Furthermore I think this map is very "open" to any type of player. The movement has been kept easy, so also players on a lower skill level will easily learn how to play this map

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »
Played this map a few times and it is very fast.

Btw, I like all of your maps, most of them are looking really good and real. But you are right. Lot's of new maps are played rarely. I don't know why... Maybe people aren't interested in learning how to play (big) new maps. This map is more simple. You don't really have to learn how to play it successful. Noticed that this is nearly the same pvtjimmy said, I should read all before making a new reply :)

The only map you made and i can't identify with is the beta of greenhill :P

The bug in the last screenshot is hard to show with a pic. I made a little demo for you. It's only on the blue side of the low mid.

If all mappers would have your mapping skills, most of the new maps would be much better and nicer. I would really like to make a map with you, but I haven't much time at the moment. It's just enough to give feedback on new maps and making one big test map. The second part of the german bsp mapping tutorial is also waiting. I know that feedback is very helpful, lot's of people are just to lazy to give it. And that is very said for the mappers.

EDIT: 3rd beta is online @ [OTB] Server and [OTB] FTP too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:36:24 AM by Chef-Killer »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
Visually, the map looks nice.  I only have a few suggestions in that regard:
- Try phong shading the snow.
- Make the barrel radius smaller (24 instead of 32).
- Brighten the lights a bit (and possibly darken the ambient light).  It doesn't look too bad, but the light fixtures just emit a tiny glow next to the wall, and the rest of the map is mostly uniformly lit.

I put this up on the beta server and played it with a couple people.  There is one critical thing I'd fix: The left path is WAY faster than the right path (especially when you spawn so far forward on the left path).  It ends up turning into a circular cap fest because the map flows so much faster in one direction.

My suggestions:
- Add a ramp over the boxes on the right (or build up a slope for a quick exit).
- Get rid of the elevator and replace it with a slope like on the other side.

I've recorded a demo of gameplay on the beta server.  I think you'll quickly see some of the issues.  With a few tweaks, though, I think this can be a great map, especially for new players.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
This rolled around on the beta server again.  I'd really like to see it polished up and finalized.  There's really only a couple things it needs:
- Revise the elevator side to make it a viable attack path (ramp or something on the boxes); add some terrain or a ramp or something addition to or to replace the elevator.
- Possibly try phong shading on the snow & fix any minor texture issues (I'd just use a solid wood texture in place of the planks that Chef-Killer pointed out).
- Maybe move the flag a bit closer to the wall so it's easier to grab when you're strafe jumping around the side path.