Author Topic: map idea  (Read 3646 times)

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
map idea
« on: June 30, 2004, 09:08:36 PM »
hey im gonna run a map idea past you guys before i make it.
ok first off i have never finished a map prob cause im to lazy to work on a map that will prob never get played or im never really happy with the work im doing (im verry picky about stuff i think you should only put out your best work) but then i think alot of maps out there are basic and get played alot (artic paint) so im thinking about doing alot smaller of a map i was thinking about making like 2 sides to it take that one map where its just one room with a flag in the mid and just pgp's (cant remember the name) anyways i was thinking 2x as wide and maybe 4x as long now take that size and cut it in half with width (dont think will then whats the point of making it 2x as wide im getting to that) and that side will be alot alot alot of trees so much you cant bunny hop to the other side (bunny hop=straff jumping) with a flag on the 2 sides standard ctf. then with the other side the part that i made 2x as big i would make that for the most part open other then maybe 2 bunkers on each side for something to hide behind when your doing D. so you could bunny hop over there but nothing to hide behind so you would be more likly to get shot.

ok anyways there is the map. so what do you guys think i want a small map where i can do alot of clone brush cause im really lazy (prob why i have never finished a map to lazy to do all the detail work.)

sorry for the long post again but im having some medi probs that im shure you dont want to hear about and talking in the forums seems to help a bit so every chance i get i try to talk to other people that share my intrest.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 10:31:32 AM by Excalibur »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: map idea
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 06:36:29 PM »
Are you talking about oddjob.bsp?

As long as your map has more than one path from base to base, it'll be better than most of the ones out there. :)  I think the reason those small 1-way maps are popular is because they don't require much skill -- people can just sit and spray in one spot and the other team HAS to go through it at some point.

How are you planning on doing the trees?  Most trees end up looking pretty goofy in Q2 -- like pyramids or lollipops.  You might consider doing something else that works better with the q2 format.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 08:21:40 PM »
i was thinking about making the branches brush by brush and leaf by leaf yea it will take time but im only going to have like 2 dif kinds of trees so i can use clone brush and the other side of the map will be wide open other then some bunkers to hide behind for D. and yea its oddjob onlye prob is im having problems finding a good leaf tex can anyone point me to a site where i can get some good tex?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 08:29:12 PM by Excalibur »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 10:52:57 PM »
That sounds like it'll have way too many polygons.  You shoul really try to keep your r_speeds under 800 or so.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 11:12:05 AM »
ok well whats a good way to make a tree? cause i did not want it to look like a stick with a green ball on top.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »
actually, it would be helpful to have a tree "model" or two. (like the plant models...)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 06:12:49 PM »
There's not really a good way to make trees with the current BSP format.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to make a new one.  You could make tree models, though, as eiii suggested.  Those can be placed in the map using func_model.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 09:05:23 PM »
I don't know if the "func_model"s come with the collsion. WORK ON THAT JIT!

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 11:20:23 PM »
Gosh I came up with the idea cause I thought I would be a very simple map that I would finish. Now it seems like allot of work to get it to look right maybe I will just make lollipop trees with big trunks to hide behind.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 02:09:55 PM »
I think things like crates and barrels would look better.  Lollipop trees kinda bug me. :)

Oh, and there's not a way to make the models have collision detection, but you could build brushes in a similar shape and give them "nodraw" flags.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 03:56:07 PM »
maybe i will use barrels and crates then. i just really wanted trees cause there is a paintball fuild near where i live and thats how they do it. the open part is really a airport of skydiving but the paintballers use it all the time.